weathering steam with acrylics

Joe

Has anyone done it?
I really want to but I don't want to ruin a good loco.
Suggestions, comments or techniques?

You can used thinned acrylics in much the same way you use thinned oil-based paints. I rarely uses any kind of paints for weatherig now. It's a combination of chalks and artist's pastels. With paint, you're committed to the results. With chalks, I just wash them off and start over if I don't like it.

Thats another possible idea I had. What are the possibilities that some chaulk could damage the motor of a loco?

I've never had it happen yet. The chalk is all brushed off, leaving just a thin film behind before you fix it in place with dullcoat. I can't imagine how chalk could even get into a motor unlss you're weathering the motor. :)

so you get chalk, take sandpaper and reduce it to fine bits, sprread some over the loco, work it in place with a brush and seal it with dullcoat?

This bridge is weathered with acrylics, so I imagine the right combination/mix and density of acrylic paints brushed the right way on a steamer could turn out reasonably well. In fact, that is how I intend to do some of my own steamers once I get around to that part of the model.

IMG_1612cadjr.JPG

so you get chalk, take sandpaper and reduce it to fine bits, sprread some over the loco, work it in place with a brush and seal it with dullcote?

Basically correct, although I prefer to shave the chalk with an exacto knife. You can also apply the chalk directly to what you want to weather, like rivet lines on boxcars. I do use what artists calla fan brush to spread the chalk powder around but I tend to use my finger as much as a brush. Givie it a try on an old car that's not the family treasure. The one thing to remember is that weathering with chalks is the opposite of paints. You have to go heavier than what looks right with chalks because the dullcote will fade the chalks by about 50%.

Back