Weathering Rolling Stock, a Continous thread

Thanks. I am not sure it’s going to be easy to take the body off. I looked and I actually think it’s glued on.
It's not glued on , however the coupler bar has to come off at the coupler box. The only other problem I didn't see is the air piping that goes to the side of the box. I ended up breaking it. I'll have to see if I can repair it or just replace it with wire.
The car weighs 5.8 ounces.

Ok this is what I did to add weight. After getting the uncoupler levers off I cut the air pipe that goes to the box. That got glued back on when reassembled.
Three 1/4 oz. weights added brought it from 5.8 to 6.5 oz. The feels much better.
IMG_5841.jpg
IMG_5842.jpg

Good morning. I am back and feeling better. Since Tuesday I have been devastated by a miserable cold. Starting feeling really Good Friday and here’s hoping that continues.

No pictures yet as I haven’t taken any new ones of the 3 tank car project I was working one. 1 of 3 cars was finished Monday but nothing since. Otherbthen 5 minutes yesterday for 3 quick photos I have not even been downstairs.

Made a trade. One of my CN MOW Utility trucks for a Facebook friend’s Prime for grime Athearn boxcars. Nothing even close to what I do but it definitely fits into the 2015 era I model. I may make some adjustments to it but it’s fine and since we are both happy with the trade, that’s what matters the most

0EE5B2BA-A074-466D-B5C6-137E1A823CB1.jpeg
E2C3B2E4-3F3C-4143-8FD3-9001480DE5D3.jpeg
8EE74963-6FFE-4D64-B8C4-ADF7115E91F6.jpeg
F6A0BA58-BFA3-4A4F-AD41-DBFD14D845C0.jpeg

After a few days of being under the weather and my cough under control, I got to finishing adding weight to the Tropicana cars. They all got dull coat to cover any fingerprints before adding powers. Gloves only when handling till done and dull coated.

I tried it years ago - left one of my engines outside for 3 weeks in the "weather" came in cleaner than when it went out (probably the snow) - didn't seem to help at all so gave up :)

One of these days I might give it a go again though (seriously) I bought a heap of weathering stuff, powders, washes etc but could never get anything to look right OR the powders to stick to what I was putting it on. Just became very frustrating for me.

I tried it years ago - left one of my engines outside for 3 weeks in the "weather" came in cleaner than when it went out (probably the snow) - didn't seem to help at all so gave up :)

One of these days I might give it a go again though (seriously) I bought a heap of weathering stuff, powders, washes etc but could never get anything to look right OR the powders to stick to what I was putting it on. Just became very frustrating for me.
Had the same problem, Tom's (TLOC) said it's best to give it a coat of dullcoat first, that gives the powder something to stick to, works too.

I have a stack of old cars laying around so might give it a go and see if I can managed it. Thanks mate, and thanks to TLOC for telling you :) Might have to see if he can offer me any tips as well - perhaps (hang on have to put my Staff Hat on) he and the other Tom might collaborate to do a Tutorial on Weathering that could be Pinned here?? (Okay Staff Hat back on the peg again)

Seriously though, I think most of us in the hobby like to obtain as much realism as we possibly can. Quite often that is frustrated by our own abilities or lack of them. Yes, there are a great many UTube Vids etc about things like weathering - but I have found most to be confusing. Having the ability to look at a Tutorial (perhaps one in point form) and to be able to follow it and ask questions of the author/s would be very beneficial - to me at least.

Back