Weathering Rolling Stock, a Continous thread

All I can say for the ends is the fuel tanks are dirty but the refrigeration units stay pretty clean if you look at pics of them. The tanks and walkway stick out farther so they get the bulk of the kickup spray. Sorry the wife is right in this case. 🙃
Yeah I know. She generally is right and is the best thing to ever happen to me except for our kids.

While she doesn‘t look at 100% of my work she does pop down and looks. This time I asked her as they felt off to me but couldn’t figure out what. The clients never saw these, thankfully.

I took most of the spray off to match similarly to the reefer on the right side of the picture 793311. The unitssi shipped out were that clean or cleaner.

Thanks for the comment

Getting away from clean up projects and reefer cars, let me introduce my intermodal stack trains.

IMG_4685.jpeg

16 well cars and 3 spine cars appeared this morning on my doorstep. I figured I’ve done so many for 2 clients who don’t like pictures that I will show this being processed. These 16 + 3 are for me and will be done in between the next batch of reefer cars

The 1st thing for me after unboxing is inspection. The cars are all nicely detailed and none of the details seem flimsy. Better yet, none were broken! The issue to me about well cars is how light they are. I did not weight them but the Walthers Mainline cars feel twice as heavy as the next car, the Kato well cars. The Atlas cars to me are the lightest and feel as light as the Evemodel ones did. I will put all these cars on the scale tomorrow.

The Kato car set is fine

The Atlas car set will not snap together and has no instructions. I texted a client who has tons of the Atlas cars for help! The pin does not seat into the receptor and I know it should.

Th Walthers cars sets snap together nicely but in 1 set 2 cars are not level (bowed) and will not join together. This picture just shows 1 of the 2 cars. The car on the left is about .25 of a inch above the receptor pin on the right
IMG_4686.jpeg

Even with the lightness of the Atlas well cars, the warped or bowed Walthers cars and the annoying Atlas cars not being able to join together I like all these well cars. All those issues are fixable…

The 3 Athearn spine cars have good weight, track well but the top of the car where the wheel of the trailers sit were loose, so Tamiya thin glue to the rescue.

There is a 5 car set of spine cars from Bowser due Monday and another 2 Kato sets coming Tuesday

IMG_4684.jpeg
IMG_4687.jpeg
IMG_4688.jpeg

How about a start to one of my own reefers? I am waiting for some Kato well car sets to come Monday. I would prefer to batch and clear coat all the intermodal cars together. Plus I am taking a break from working on the 2 bowed Walthers cars. So, it’s reefer time!
IMG_4699.jpeg
IMG_4700.jpeg
IMG_4701.jpeg

This is a non sound car and when testing out of the box this one rolled decently. The truck frames will get the MicroMark tuner adjustment then cleaned and weathered.

BNSF 793273 has been inspected and cleaned but not clear coated or faded. There will be no fade on this car, one of the prototype pictures being shown is from 2017
IMG_4697.jpeg

and then after a re-paint being shown again in 2021
IMG_4702.jpeg

The reason for no fade is that this car will have custom painted graffiti (it’s for me) and I find providing I wash the car the first graffiti painting just flows better without a fade, YMMV!

I apply graffiti then weathering. The tags go on after the weathering!

In the pictures I have just hi-lited some spots on the car with a brush dabbing some Vallejo Air burnt umber # 71.040. More for a shadow effect then showing any rust.

Next up will be one custom piece that actually might be one from the 2021 photo, those 2 don’t look too tough. This car is mine and therefore fits into no time line. It maybe worked on Monday or some time over the next couple weeks

Last edited:
Interesting how lost I feel without my spray booth and airbrush. But as we all know an air brush is a nice tool but it’s not 100% needed to weather.

I am a huge believer in washes and this 3 car set of Spine cars is a good example. Yes, this car was first sprayed with a Matt clear coat after it was washed and then let to dry. But beyond that it’s many applications of hand applied washes created from Vallejo Model Air colors and AK Interactive Grimy Engine

IMG_5325.jpeg
IMG_5324.jpeg
IMG_5323.jpeg
IMG_5322.jpeg
IMG_5321.jpeg
IMG_5320.jpeg
IMG_5319.jpeg
IMG_5318.jpeg
IMG_5317.jpeg
IMG_5316.jpeg

I have found lots of side view shots of Spine cars but not one of the deck. So this is my imagineered view of what they might look like.

The jury is out on this one until Terry gets home. I’m kind of torn

What I wanted was the frame to be dirty but not covered so much that the lettering cannot be read. At spots it may not be but overall I think you can read the lettering. The trucks are right to me and I did have the springs hi-lifted with a shade of rust. But none of the pictures I found showed rusted springs, dirty yes. Rust, nope!

6 more well cars.

The blue Pacer cars were faded with just a normal fade mix of 20% Tamiya xf2 white and 80% Isopropyl Alcohol the 91% concentration. These were hit 3 times to where it feels and looks right. I did take some iron oxide pigment and apply it to the metal lattice flooring but took no pictures of it!

On top of the pacer well cars is a 3 set of Atlas well cars. If you are interested in a weathered set of Atlas well cars let me know. While both the Kato Pacer and Atlas yellow well cars are a work in process I like the weathering on the atlas cars. The Atlas cars are very light but look good and per reviews are accurate to the car Atlas modeled from.

I am gone on Wednesday and may yet venture to the bench tonight to play with these 2 sets of well cars and the 3 car spine car set.

When I return Thursday afternoon I will have another 9 Kato well cars as I purchased the last 3 sets my pusher had! Yes, I have seemed to have settled on Kato well cars!

IMG_4751.jpeg
IMG_4750.jpeg
IMG_4749.jpeg
IMG_4748.jpeg
IMG_4747.jpeg

Containers! Yep, they will now be posted in this thread. This is fill in work and these were sprayed with a clear flat coat from Mission Models last week.

This morning I took a wash of Vallejo colors mixing up some white, tan and dirt to create a dusty grime. I applied a few SPOT coverages and I will take a cloth soaked with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol and gentely dab the color off. It’s an experiment based on a technique some of the weathering gurus of a weathering group I belong to tried on white cars. While they are doing it on the pure white ScaleTrain reefers, I’m not that bold. I’m starting with containers

IMG_4746.jpeg
IMG_4745.jpeg
IMG_4744.jpeg

I will get back to these either early Saturday or Monday!

Wow, this stuff looks great, nice job on the reefers and spine cars guys. I'm a big fan of the washes also, it's nice to just relax and brush the wash around untill you find the desired look. I tend to use the airbrushes for locomotive weathering, to give that softer weathered look for road spray and diesel smoke on the upper locomotive's cab and hood line. I seldomly use actual photo's of real life loco's and cars... I more or less go by my mind's eye when weatering pretty well anything. I also like the oils and powders for rust effects and grime too. Here are some cars I've done in the last few years past... it's a great part of this hobby, I must say it's my fave.. enjoy.

MD&W1.jpg
Abox3.jpg
SOO1.jpg

Wow, this stuff looks great, nice job on the reefers and spine cars guys. I'm a big fan of the washes also, it's nice to just relax and brush the wash around untill you find the desired look. I tend to use the airbrushes for locomotive weathering, to give that softer weathered look for road spray and diesel smoke on the upper locomotive's cab and hood line. I seldomly use actual photo's of real life loco's and cars... I more or less go by my mind's eye when weatering pretty well anything. I also like the oils and powders for rust effects and grime too. Here are some cars I've done in the last few years past... it's a great part of this hobby, I must say it's my fave.. enjoy.

View attachment 183859View attachment 183860View attachment 183861
Welcome to the thread CPR Zee!

Your pictures are great and fit in well here.

The Crew loves pictures, paint formulas and more pictures. Offer up constructive criticism. Tell us how you did the whole car or a portion but we r an inquisitive Crew

What colors and brands of paint did you use to create the great rust effects on the Soo car?

Thanks Tom for the warm welcome.

Well there's no magic I must say. My techniques are probably the same ones most of you's are already using. As far as constructive criticism goes... hard to give when we're all kind of like artists, we may all end up at the same place but we all took a different path to get there... it's great that we can ask each other about different techniques and most people I hope, will be open about it.

So,

I typically start with a model eraser, they come in various grits, and they are really fine some of them. I use them to rub off paint details like graphics on the cars. I think Tamiya makes them. I usually start with a Vallejo acrylic Model Air wash Burnt Umber for rust to start, as I always do. I start with the roof of the car, I just brush the wash around till I see what I like and stop right there.
I will let that set up for a day and hit it again if I want a heavier looking rust effect, again, let it set up for a day. Then I hit the sides. Same thing, same wash again and brush it around (vertical brush strokes always) along panel seams and other details until I see the ideal effect. Again I let it set up for a day. Again hit the same side depending on the amount of rust I want to see. I do this for the rest of the car's sides and ends.
The next step is to Dulcoat the car. Then out comes the oil paints, I mainly use Burnt Umber, Burnt Sienna and black for the next steps. I will also use a piece of sponge ripped out of a large piece of sponge for the light speckling of rust rash and let that set up for a day. I then start to add by brush the burnt umber and sienna oils to the various spots of the car.. and let that set up for about an hour. Then I take like fanned brush with some mineral spirits on it (not to saturated) and down brush the ideal spots to simulate the down running rust streaks. The other various spots I would really just clean up the edges around the oil spots to give them that sharp rusted patch of medal look just before the rust would start to run down the side of the car, just like that patch of rust below the build date on the lower left side of the Soo car. At that point I would let it set up for a day and hit the remaining sides until I'm satisfied. I would give it another Dulcoat coat also at that point. Then I hit the model with the powders or pastels.. pretty straight forward with those. You can end it there or give it a light Dulcoat again and have the effect of dust and grime hit by rain like on the Soo car or not by not hitting it with a Dulcoat after the powder work... whatever you fancy. The trucks I will just hit them with a mixture of model air colors of Brown and Tyre Black in the airbrush for a base coat of grime and then apply powders to the frames, the wheels I typically hit them with an enamel rust paint and then add some powders to them. The underside of the car I usually don't bother with, if anything I would just hit that with the airbrush with the brown & black color.

You know maybe it's just me, but I almost on every car or loco I hit, it's almost like I am always doing things a little differently, maybe that's called progress... or maybe it's just called experimenting. I'm kind of like a non conformist.

I hope this gives you some light into the way I weather things. I'm like everyone else, always learning.

Z

Last edited:
Welcome to the thread CPR Zee!

Your pictures are great and fit in well here.

The Crew loves pictures, paint formulas and more pictures. Offer up constructive criticism. Tell us how you did the whole car or a portion but we r an inquisitive Crew

What colors and brands of paint did you use to create the great rust effects on the Soo car?
Sorry Tom, I forgot to hit reply to your comment, my reply is above.

Z

Thanks Tom for the warm welcome.

Well there's no magic I must say. My techniques are probably the same ones most of you's are already using. As far as constructive criticism goes... hard to give when we're all kind of like artists, we may all end up at the same place but we all took a different path to get there... it's great that we can ask each other about different teqhniques and most people I hope, will be oped about it.

So,

I typically start with a model eraser, they come in various grits, and they are really fine some of them. I use them to rub off paint details like graphics on the cars. I think Tamiya makes them. I usually start with a Vallejo acrylic Model Air wash Burnt Umber for rust to start, as I always do. I start with the roof of the car, I just brush the wash around till I see what I like and stop right there.
I will let that set up for a day and hit it again if I want a heavier looking rust effect, again, let it set up for a day. Then I hit the sides. Same thing, same wash again and brush it around (verticle brush strokes always) along panel seams and other details untill I see the ideal effect. Again I let it set up for a day. Again hit the same side depending on the amount of rust I want to see. I do this for the rest of the car's sides and ends.
The next step is to dulcoat the car. Then out comes the oil paints, I mainly use burnt umber, Sienna and black for the next steps. I will also use a piece of sponge ripped out of a large piece of sponge for the light speckling of rust rash and let that set up for a day. I then start to add by brush the burnt umber and sienna oils to the variouse spots of the car.. and let that set up for about an hour. Then I take like fanned brush with some mineral spirits on it (not to saturated) and down brush the ideal spots to simulate the down running rust streaks. The other variuos spots I would really just clean up the edges around the oil spots to give them that sharp rusted patch of medal look just before the rust would start to run down the side of the car, just like that patch of rust below the build date on the lower left side of the Soo car. At that point I would let it set up for a day and hit the remaining sides untill I'm satisfied. I would give it another Dulcoat coat also at that point. Then I hit the model with the powders or pastels.. pretty staight forward with those. You can end it there or give it a light Dulcoat again and have the effect of dust and grime hit by rain like on the Soo car or not by not hitting it with a Dulcoat after the powder work... whatever you fancy. The trucks I will just hit them with a mixture of model air colours of Brown and Tyre Black in the airbrush for a base coat of grime and then apply powders to the frames, the wheels I typically hit them with an enamel rust paint and then add some powders to them. The underside of the car I usually don't bother with, if anything I would just hit that with the airbrush with the brown & black colour.

You know maybe it's just me, but I almost on every car or loco I hit, it's almost like I am always doing things a little differently, maybe that's called progress... or maybe it's just called experimenting. I'm kind of like a non conformist.

I hope this gives you some light into the way I weather things. I'm like everyone else, always learning.

Z
Definitely agree about always learning. I experiment a lot. I know it’s not because I get bored with one method because no matter what I do the outcome is always a bit different. I tried to keep my mixing formulas consistent but even then I’d get slightly different results. Most of my mixes now are done by what looks good enough and feel. I still Write formulas down but I don’t live by them any longer. It helps to know I originally mixed 5 drops xf2 with 20 parts xf59 and 5 drops of xf21 but after that its just go ahead and mix those 3 together as I now have a great idea what it will look like.

Again thanks for joining us and WE ALL LOVE PICTURES

there are no mistakes in weathering…

that can’t be corrected
IMG_4494.jpeg

Definitely agree about always learning. I experiment a lot. I know it’s not because I get bored with one method because no matter what I do the outcome is always a bit different. I tried to keep my mixing formulas consistent but even then I’d get slightly different results. Most of my mixes now are done by what looks good enough and feel. I still Write formulas down but I don’t live by them any longer. It helps to know I originally mixed 5 drops xf2 with 20 parts xf59 and 5 drops of xf21 but after that its just go ahead and mix those 3 together as I now have a great idea what it will look like.

Again thanks for joining us and WE ALL LOVE PICTURES

"there are no mistakes in weathering…

that can’t be corrected"
View attachment 184001

"there are no mistakes in weathering… that can’t be corrected"

Exactly, I could't have coined it any better, words to live by!
Nice pic, love the scenery detail. It looks like you are modeling the present era of the CNR?

"there are no mistakes in weathering… that can’t be corrected"

Exactly, I could't have coined it any better, words to live by!
Nice pic, love the scenery detail. It looks like you are modeling the present era of the CNR?
I have progressed from the Milwaukee Road in the1970’s. Moved to a free lance railroad that never really got off the ground in the 1980’s. In the 1990’s I moved to the WisconsinCentral till the CN took over in October 2001. Modeled the year 2005 for about 10 years, then CN without the WC but lately moved my modeling dates to 2015 but I love trains and am back to some freelancing…

These 4 containers are now client approved. The request was Side panels with just dusty grime, end panels heavier splatter but not real strong. Then after 1st pictures, he asked for more grime! I purchased 12 of these at the Athearn 60% sale in February. I have a intermodal modeler as my best weathering client. He saw the containers and asked if we could deal on 4?
IMG_4769.jpeg
IMG_4770.jpeg
IMG_4771.jpeg
IMG_4772.jpeg

Brushed on as a wash 30% Vallejo dirt to 70% distilled water and then after they were dry, the weathering was removed (91%IPA) using a clean makeup sponge in a dabbing motion. Based on photos sent by the client for inspiration these 4 are much cleaner than the pictures taken in 2021.

I had written a few days ago about this being an experiment. It was ok but I could have more consistent results with a spray brush.

They are waiting for a final clear coat sprayed at a PSI of 18 using Mission Models MMA-004 Flat clear coat.

I have 5 of my own to finish but I will be using oils and mineral spirits. 3 others will just be sprayed with a clear coat to dull down the plastic sheen.

Attachments

• IMG_4767.jpeg
    IMG_4767.jpeg
    506.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Containers and a faded Kato Pacer well car set. These are mine!
IMG_4785.jpeg

2 sets of spine cars have also been completed, I approved my own set but the 2nd set is awaiting approval from the client. I need to air drop those pictures to the IPadPro.

I have 3 more sets of the Kato well car sets for myself that are getting graffiti and tags, the above set will not. The photos of those will be posted later. They are on my phone and I no longer sync my phone with the cloud so they do not automatically show up on the IPadPro.

6 more well cars.

The blue Pacer cars were faded with just a normal fade mix of 20% Tamiya xf2 white and 80% Isopropyl Alcohol the 91% concentration. These were hit 3 times to where it feels and looks right. I did take some iron oxide pigment and apply it to the metal lattice flooring but took no pictures of it!

On top of the pacer well cars is a 3 set of Atlas well cars. If you are interested in a weathered set of Atlas well cars let me know. While both the Kato Pacer and Atlas yellow well cars are a work in process I like the weathering on the atlas cars. The Atlas cars are very light but look good and per reviews are accurate to the car Atlas modeled from.

I am gone on Wednesday and may yet venture to the bench tonight to play with these 2 sets of well cars and the 3 car spine car set.

When I return Thursday afternoon I will have another 9 Kato well cars as I purchased the last 3 sets my pusher had! Yes, I have seemed to have settled on Kato well cars!

View attachment 183813View attachment 183814View attachment 183815View attachment 183816View attachment 183817
Love it, good reference and an eye for copying, spot on as usual.

Back