Weathering Rolling Stock, a Continous thread

Vallejo Air I thin the few times I use it now for fading the car. That is the “for effect” that CambriaArea51 wrote about. Tom is very right that Vallejo Air is thin enough without thinner.

The CMO covered hoppers from Scaletrains have a grayish beige look to them. The 30% Vallejo white to 70% Vallejo thinner should give me the fade Coloring I want. We’ll see next week when I’m back at the bench.

Great streaks on that hopper Jay

Time to finish a project. 3 CMO covered hopper by Scaletrains sitting on the paper mill lead where security is fairly tight. They are waiting for the pulp hop to pick them up and deliver them to Paper Mill Yard. There I’m sure with less security they will at least get tagged

Actually the client now isn’t sure about the tagging but has definitely ruled out graffiti

IMG_6024.jpeg
IMG_6025.jpeg

Hi Tom -

I was anxious to get this billboard car done so dove in as a singular project. Changing out couplers was a real problem because of the way they assembled it, it was an ebay buy and the risk in buying was mine as they only had one photo posted.

For weathering this old timer, I did the dull coat followed by the white wash. I went over it with some india ink/alcohol/water and then some brown wash in a few spots. The trucks were the brown primer followed up with a little gray wash to get them a little dirty. I am pretty happy with this one, for being a somewhat low detail model with good lettering, fits my era perfectly:

weathering.JPG

Dave LASM

Hi Tom -

I was anxious to get this billboard car done so dove in as a singular project. Changing out couplers was a real problem because of the way they assembled it, it was an ebay buy and the risk in buying was mine as they only had one photo posted.

For weathering this old timer, I did the dull coat followed by the white wash. I went over it with some india ink/alcohol/water and then some brown wash in a few spots. The trucks were the brown primer followed up with a little gray wash to get them a little dirty. I am pretty happy with this one, for being a somewhat low detail model with good lettering, fits my era perfectly:

View attachment 191483

Dave LASM
It fits your era for sure. Subtle weathering, very nice

Hay Tom! Found a pix that might be interesting for ya. This is just out of Memphis. Cars are either headed to or from the refinery ( to right ). Interesting rust or chemical on the one.
View attachment 191849

And if you just want to know where all those truck fuel tankers fill-r up, this is on the other side of the hiway:
View attachment 191850

Later
Thanks Todd. Interesting and very informative pictures.

I see white tanks cars very infrequently in So. Central Wisconsin as the closest tracks are like 5-7 miles and the WSOR mainly seems to come through Madison after dark. I have taken up train watching via YouTube. So thanks for the pictures showing those white tankers. I love the rusted one

Back