Weathering Recipe Help!

cinemafreak

Hello,

Not new to Model RR, but new to weathering. I have secured some brushes, acrylics, pens,.... I do not have an airbrush, so this is for the old tried and true brush method. I have never mixed acrylics and am looking for a recipe/mixure for basic/light weathering. I have black, brown, rust, and white acrylics. What is your recipe?

Thanks!

Michael

after any weathering job, if you turn out to like it, you probably will want to cover that with layer of dullcoat . and doing that with brush over acrylic weathering layer is not possible. without destroying your previos work that is.
i'm afraid airbrush is almost a must.

Can't you can get dullcoat in a can?

Check out self-stick weathering powders. They're easy to overdo but if used right they come out pretty nicely. An airbrush will be a great help but you don't have to rush out and buy one immediately.

I will dullcote first, weather, then dulcote, repeat as necessary. Looking for tips on brushing on weather tips, specifically mixture of of acrylics and water for brushing. One for overall weathering and how to dilute for rust spots and rust lines.

If I understand you question you are asking what colors to mix to make a standard weathering color. Is that correct?

I find good weathering is a combination of layers using different colors and techniques. There is no one color for weathering.

If you are starting with Acrylics, I suggest learning to use them as washes. Thin them and wash the thinned paint over the model. The paint pigment will generally collect around details, Just like dirt does or shadows do. While wet you can use a Q-tip to wipe off excess in areas you don't want as much paint.

I also do a lot of dry brushing. I tend to use darker washes to emphasis the cracks and crevices and use dry brushing with white to highlight the edges of details.

Ned

If I understand you question you are asking what colors to mix to make a standard weathering color. Is that correct?

I find good weathering is a combination of layers using different colors and techniques. There is no one color for weathering.

If you are starting with Acrylics, I suggest learning to use them as washes. Thin them and wash the thinned paint over the model. The paint pigment will generally collect around details, Just like dirt does or shadows do. While wet you can use a Q-tip to wipe off excess in areas you don't want as much paint.

I also do a lot of dry brushing. I tend to use darker washes to emphasis the cracks and crevices and use dry brushing with white to highlight the edges of details.

Ned

Hey Cinema,

Knowledge is key! I came across this the other day and will be ordering it. The small investment ($27.00) is small compared to ruining a locomotive. Understanding how is the key. Then it's practice, practice, practice. I intend to get a bunch of $5.00 loco's at a train show as guinnea pigs.

Manny

Train videos and parts

I use polly scale water based paint and when I am weathering I like to thin the paint aprox 2 parts paint 1 part water. If it is to thin at this I will mix it 3 parts paint 1 part water. I dont measure I just add paint into the small air brush cup and and a few drops of water. then mist it slowly over a test sheet of plastic and see if I like how it covers the other colors. most of my weathering is just adding grime and dusting of some dirt so a little goes a long way.

Hey Cinema,

Knowledge is key! I came across this the other day and will be ordering it. The small investment ($27.00) is small compared to ruining a locomotive. Understanding how is the key. Then it's practice, practice, practice. I intend to get a bunch of $5.00 loco's at a train show as guinnea pigs.

Manny

Train videos and parts

I'm reviewing this video, and it's pretty good for beginners. It shows how to develop a good basic skill set to paint steamers, and to weather them. I haven't got to the weathering part yet, and some guys do have recipies for their favorite "grunge" color, but I tend to use weathered black, earth, rust, dust and other earth tones to get where I want to go. These are applied individually, though you could mix the black, brown and earth colors to get what you want. There isn't a right way, just what looks good to you, or if you're working from a photo, what matches the photo.

Back