Weathering feedback

meanjean

Ok be nice, but honest and give me some feedback. I was trying to get the look of an SP loco in the Pacific Northwest in the mid to late 80s. Most SD45s by then were pretty rusty and dirty. That was what my inspiration was.

My opion is, I like it. The rust is still an ongoing learing curve but seems to be getting better the more I say screw it and put some paint down and just try it. Always scared Ill screw up a nice loco.

I used water based paints mostly and some weathering powder. Still needs dull coat over the entire engine and there is always someting else I could do to it. Have to draw the line somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
body looks great. though to me the plow and trucks don't seem to match the rest of the unit same with the white handrails

So more dirt on the plow, trucks, and less white on the handrails? Got it.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO the fans and side grilles could use a little more grime as well as the railings. Looks great so far. :)

Plow, trucks, fuel tank (especially the ENDS of the tank!) need a tad more work, and maybe a little soot around the exhaust...

But in any case, the work so far is great!

Thanks for the feedback. Ill get out the airbrush and dirty up the tank and trucks. Your thinking more dirt/grime/black right? Not a lighter color?

A brownish color should work, but yeah, dirty, grimy. The tank ends caught my eye right away.

The only thing that is really sticking out for me is the Bell. I think you need to take it off and drill the hole a little bigger or deeper to get the three "feet" of the bell to rest on the cab roof. It is kind of just floating there. Maybe it's just not pushed all the way down. Easy fix either way.:D

View attachment 23861

Weathering looks nice so far.;)

Back