weathering and graffiti

Airslide

The Flange Squeal
this is my first attempt at weathering..well not my first, but the first that i am willing to share.

the graffiti was done by a young man i met at a one of my railfan locations. I wanted to watch him do it, but he insisted on doing it and returning it to me. i was trying to copy his technique;) . he's had it for a few weeks and i got it back last weekend. my aim was to weather the graffiti into the car.

thoughts, opinions?

IMG_1895.jpg

the white spray on the left side came from the dull cote. i hadnt shaken the cann up before i sprayed it but i think its a nice touch.
i have seen cars with random white spray on them, from what I have no idea.

IMG_1903.jpg

the problem is darker colored cars tend to fade and get lighter. these gvsr and vcy prototypes are royal blue when they come out of the paint shop, but once they are exposed to polution sunlight and the weather for a few years they fade lighter. any thoughts on how to get that affect?

Last edited by a moderator:
The best way to get the faded colour effect is to paint the model with a 'faded' shade of paint.

On a pre-painted model you can try a white wash to lighten the paint. I use Windex and white acrylic paint mixture airbrushed. Use multiple thin layers of paint to get the correct shade rather than one heavy coat.

If your not already a member, modeltrainsweathered.com is the best resource for weathering tips on the internet.

You're off to a good start with the weathering.

looks nice, but remember that rust isn't a wash!!

Sides look good, the kid does good work. Looks like he uses paint+ really small brush or toothpick for the color, then surrounds it in india ink using a fine-tipped calligraphy pen.

I was in a quickie weathering clinic given by Gary Walton, and he was weathering HO scale containers. The main ones he used to demo were the Athearn 53' Pacer Stacktrain ones, that are a deep blue.

He used one or two drops of white in like a whole cup of thinner, and made multiple passes. It basically whitened the blue color, to resemble paint fade in the sun.

It was pretty simple and quick.

Kennedy

Oxidized paint

If you have a junker car for experimentation, try misting on some grocery store bought isoprophyl alcohol and let dry. It fogs the paint like oxidized paint. :)

Back