Weather/Water-proofing XPS Diorama

kchildress

Hoping to hear from those with experience carving XPS foam forms/dioramas intended to withstand the elements, or even better, forms/dioramas specifically designed to support a working water feature. This is my first project using these materials so I have a lot to learn.

The project: A mountain-side diorama planter for 2 of my bonsai specimens including an angled cascade ending in a small pond in the foreground. I have included a concept drawing for reference (PS - I'm no illustrator!).

My primary question(s) relate to sealing and painting materials and processes used on XPS. Here's my concern: a) I want to create my own rock-like texture when I carve the mountain. b) I do not want to use a sealer that is so thick that it covers/hides the textures I carved. c) I do not want to have to carve fine textures into some sort of thick coating. For example, I've found a cement-like product from Hot Wire Foam Factory that is waterproof but I'm concerned its so thick that it might cover/hide my textures (I don't know this - I've never used the stuff). There is a chance I will use this or a similar product in my cascade channel and pond but don't know yet. I'll also be carving stacked-stone and block walls in my diorama so whatever sealer I use needs to be thin enough not to fill those tiny little mortar joints.

There is a you-tube video from Jim Elster that I am using as my primary inspiration for carving my stone texture. I'd like to carve it and paint it in the exact fashion as in this video, and then seal the entire thing for water-proofing. I'm not asking anyone to watch this entire video, but maybe it'd help to see what I'm planning for creating the rocky texture and the painting technique. Here's the video link:

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Kevin

Diorama Concept_rendered.jpg

Same topic as above ... new question:

Does anyone have experience with foam coat products from Hot Wire Foam Factory? In particular, their Create Coat and / or Exterior Foam Coat?

Thanks.

Back