WC project

RIRRfan

Hi all,

Ok, Following my BNSF project thread. Which seems to not be going as planned.
I have taken the BN 6615 (F45) out of that project and will put it into my WC project.

at 1st glance. this has a lot of clean up work that needs to be done.
It does run but not very well if you can imagine.

picture.php

picture.php

I'll see if I can do a video link.

The good news is it's an athearn and not a cheap-o bachmann or tyco. You cna swap alot of drivetrain componets out to make it run better. it looks like it has spent some time in a damp environment.

After a good cleaning. This thing holds a steady line. No derailments and just chugs along at a nice speed.
picture.php

picture.php

There are still rust spots here and there but all the contact points are shinny and i have great contact points now.

Next up is to find kadee coupler's and fix the left front step and plow.

CNR Glen,

It did have a lot of rust and corrosion so we can safely say, Hey it spent time in a wet environment.

The last few years has been pretty wet in Iowa and it's safe to say that I bet these came from a flooded basement.

The others seem to be a better shape rust wise.

I'd get rid of that contact strip and solder in wires for a better connection. I use a trimmed off female spade connector on the truck end with a wire soldered on, it will push on and easily removed for truck repairs if needed or you can solder directly to the tab.

Hi Bill,

Yeah , I did think about doing that mod. But as long as the strip came out pretty good I just left it.
Now on the other F45 I have (SF 5944 Athearn) Someone had used a paper clip to make the contact strip. I did solder wire to make the contact to the trucks on this unit.

I should be posting the next loco sometime this week.

I have a couple of buildings under construction for the layout atm.

Back