Water Question

wilson44512

Newbie RRDER
looking for some thing cheaper to use for water then magic water or Realistic Water. is there any thing i could use that will work?

I use Polyurethane that I buy at WM. The last time I bought a quart it was $8.00. That quart will go a long way pouring just a thin coat each time until you get the thickness you need. My deep lakes & ponds are only about 1/8th inch thick & some are thinner. It's all in the base paint colors & surrounding foliage that makes it look deep.:D

can you give me the full name of that Polyurethane? I looked it up at walmart and got a lot of different products. And what color should i paint under the lake and river?

For a small stream or pond artist matt medium is a good cheap base. Great for making waves.

can you give me the full name of that Polyurethane? I looked it up at walmart and got a lot of different products. And what color should i paint under the lake and river?

Mix a small bit of blue, green, and black so that you get a very dark turqoise. In the middle portion of your lake or stream bed, paint a slightly uneven-bordered splotch with that mixture. It should take up the middle two thirds of the surface area leaving one remaining third split for each shoreline.

Next, mix some yellow and medium green, and run a wavy band of that up slightly yellow green up to the shore. Feather a bit of the yellow/green into the darker paint to get a blending.

Let that all dry, and then pour your several layers of the medium you want to use for water. I recommend adding a 1/4 tsp of the yellow/green paint to your medium and also a pinch of plaster of Paris. By pinch I mean 1/4 tsp added to about half a liter of the pour. Mix thoroughly and pour it, letting it spread over time to fine its own level and coverage. You can always add to it later.

Very important first step, though, before anything, is to thoroughly seal the borders/shoreline of the area that will receive the pour. It will otherwise leak onto your flooring.

Back