Waste Glass as a load

funnelfan

Here is a load idea for a 3-bay hopper. Waste glass is sorted by color (clear, green and brown) and loaded into hoppers to head to a glass smelter. One of those smelters is on the west side of I-205 near the Portland International airport.

attachment.php

Cool pic Ted, didn't know they did that.
One more reason not to stand too close to a moving train!

Looks great. An old rolling rock bottle and a hammer some elmers glue....instant load. :D The weathering is also very nice!
-Art

Kind of an interesting load. It sort of dates the layout to our recycling era. I find the load interesting for a reason One day while returning refundables, I noticed a worker with a large steel tool shaped cylindrical large at the bottom with a 4 foot shaft protruding from it. It seemed they put the bottles in a steel drum and smashe the glass with the tool. The glass was all separated by color and I kind of wondered how they passed it on to the next stage. I assume then that they passed it on to a central loading point for shipment. Good catch on the photo.
Willis

I found some beads at Walmart a couple of years ago, that would look good as a load of glass in a gondola, much safer than using real glass !
I used to work at a glass works, the broken glass is an important ingredient in making glass, its called cullet, over here.
Ron

There's an transloading industry in my old hometown of Guelph, Ontario that handles crushed glass in old covered hoppers. Mostly old SIRX cars of various descriptions.
Some old PROCOR plastic pellet hoppers have been downgraded to this service as well.

Glass manufactures and bottling plants have massive amounts of glass waste.
If they have a rail siding then this would be one of the ways to ship it to be recycled.
The large breweries such as Budweiser and Coors have lots of what is called cullet (broken Glass).

I found some beads at Walmart a couple of years ago, that would look good as a load of glass in a gondola, much safer than using real glass !
I used to work at a glass works, the broken glass is an important ingredient in making glass, its called cullet, over here.
Ron

Do you have any pics? It would make a good load from my future salvage yard.

Do you have any pics? It would make a good load from my future salvage yard.
I made a rough and ready sample this evening, of a gondola with a load of cullet.
I used a piece of cardboard, coloured green,with a felt-tip pen, as a liner for the bottom of the gondola. The glass beads, I got from Wal-Mart a couple of years ago, to use as insulators on telegraph lines.
Ron

Back