wanting to convert

gator do 65

Ok, I want to convert to DCC but am unsure if I will be able to run DC on the same track at the same time?
So my question is this, Is DCC backward compatible with DC? If so can I run in opposing directions?
Can someone please explain my options?

Hey Gator do 65,

There are DCC systems that allow for the operation of one DC locomotive on your layout with DCC. From everything I have read this is not a good idea because DC motors are prone to overheating when exposed to DCC.

You can opt to have both DC and DCC controls, but they can not be used at the same time on the same circuit. You could have a switch or simply unhook one power supply and hook up the other.

I suggest reading this book The DCC Guide, Second Edition I have not yet read this one but the first edition was fantastic for explaining the fundamentals of DCC to me.

From what I have understood about DC and DCC compatibility, I tend to also agree with Stoker. You can run a DCC loco on DC BUT cannot go the other way around, run DC on a DCC layout.

When I "first" put my layout down and running (DCC wired), I only had DC loco's with one exception, and the only loco that would run on the track was the DCC loco. Last night, I connected power to one section of my layout (via an old DC power supply) and all of my engines powered up, DC and DCC engines.

Now with that being said, there maybe electronics, programs or other things out there that will let you run DC engines on a DCC track. I can only tell you what I have experienced.

Ok, I want to convert to DCC but am unsure if I will be able to run DC on the same track at the same time?
There are ways to do this, but trust me you don't want to. It is twice as complicated as either system alone and a receipt for burning up or ruining something.

So my question is this, Is DCC backward compatible with DC? If so can I run in opposing directions?
Some locomotives have what are called "dual mode" decoders. They can run on DC. But, No, in DC mode they run exactly like a DC locomotives. They cannot run in opposing directions. Only when they are running on DCC power can they run in opposing directions.

Can someone please explain my options?
Do you mean just DCC options or control options in general (like WiFi, wireless, battery powered etc)?

I would say your options for DCC are to choose a CVP, Digitrax, Lenz, NCE, Prodigy or Zimo DCC system and just start.

My advice is that if you want to convert to DCC, just do it and don't look back. If you worry about it too much then you are always trying to second guess yourself. You can study it forever, worry about getting the "best" system, make it seem harder than it is, but all those do is distract from the trains.

In all the hundreds of Model Railroaders I have known who have converted to DCC, I can think of a handful who have not said, "why didn't I do this sooner". I only know of 2 who didn't like it so much they converted back to DC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for clarifying this for me! I now have a much better understanding of what can and can't be done!!

Thanks again

Back