walthers George Robert printing plant

h44

I bought this kit back when it first came out and I just opened it yesterday. I was disappointed to see that the brick walls were painted a tan color instead of brick
I'm going to be using this building as the start to a candy factory.
What is the best spray paint that could be used for brick red. and the stone block frame around the windows what would be the best color for those. I would probably spray the window frames first then let them dry a few days and carefully mask them and spray the brick, oh yeh how would you go about painting the mortar between the bricks. this will be the first kit I have built since 2005. so a lot of questions coming
thanks
Mark

If you want a red brick building I'd airbrush the entire building white then pick the color you want,when you paint it go lite and hit it as many time as you think it needs it.I've done this before and the "mortar" should show thur and the 'Bricks" will not all be the same color so they can show "age".
N

I use Floquil or True-Color railroad paint Box Car Brown. I paint that first, then for the mortar lines I just use real sheet rock mud thinned down with water. Dip the rag into the thinned drywall mud mixture, then apply to the brick surface. Let dry about 10 min, then wipe off the brick panels with a damp towel, leaving the white mortar lines.

P1010349.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he was asking if you do that before or after you assemble the structure. I assemble then paint the larger portions. I paint the details before gluing them on, but always have to touch up by the time I am done.

I paint the whole kit before I start with the base brick color I am looking for. Lately that has been box car red. Then I do a wash with concrete or buff. After assembly, I can dry brush the whole thing. I think I'm gonna try the dry wall mud method to see if makes things easier. Sure looks great Motley!

Here's another tip; mix a little acrylic grey into the spackle/drywall paste to tone down the white of the past mix.

Back