Walthers Dayton Machine Co.

nwdrummer379

Class of '11
Hello my name is Jeff and I am new to this forum. I have a 4x8 HO scale layout named the Ohio & Eastern Lines that is focused on eastern railroads. All of my track consists of Bachmann EZ track and I would like to know if anyone knows the door height of the Walthers Dayton Machine Co. I would like to buy this kit but I'm not sure if the rail cars will clear the height of the doorway due to the height of the roadbed. Thanks in advance -Jeff

I don't have EZ track, but, sometimes you have to add a plastic or wood shim/spacer under a building to get the right clearances. If no one has an answer for you I would do that. You can always paint the spacer to match the building & then add foliage around it to cover the addition.
I've even cut out the top of a doorway to clear a tall Hi-Cube boxcar & then filled in w/some trim.

The height is just under 2 3/8", a bit low. For this reason, I placed mine on some foam strips and painted them to look like a stone foundation.

Yes, it's too low for the E-Z Track roadbed but, as Crandell and Larry said, you can raise the building pretty easily. I used WS paving tape to raise mine to the right height. It was easy and I just painted it a concrete color so it looked like part of the foundation.

I have used Evergreen styrene strips, approx 0.050" thick by 0.250 wide (iirc), placed on edge to raise a building a full quarter inch, and painted it just like mentioned above to look like a concrete foudation. You would never know it wasn't part of the plan!

Don't Lower the Bridge...Raise the Water!

All my track sits on cork roadbed. Around buildings I put down foamcore to all but illiminate the raised track, which often happens around buildings...the track being at mostly ground level. I keep the raised track and roadbed for main line.

Allan

I'm experimenting with using sheet cork cut to the footprint of the building as a "foundation" to raise buildings to the right height. I have the Dayton structure, and I'm planning to just cut out space for the track that will run into the building.

I'm experimenting with using sheet cork cut to the footprint of the building as a "foundation" to raise buildings to the right height. I have the Dayton structure, and I'm planning to just cut out space for the track that will run into the building.
I Think You'll find foamcore a lot cheaper than sheet cork.
Allan

Back