Walthers Cornerstone Series(R) 90' Turntable Kit

nephthyr

Hi All,

Anyone who has this kit? Can it be modified for HOn3 track? I assume the track is glued to the bridge and so it should be possible to replace the HO track with narrow guage?

I don't want to purchase this unless it can be used for HOn3.

Many thanks!

I assembled one of these ~ 2 years ago. I don't remember exactly how the rails are attached. But my biggest challenge was running the wires from the track to the electrical pickup sliders underneath with only two hands! I don't see any reason why you couldn't put a 12" length of HOn3 track on the bridge instead of standard guage. You just need to make sure the track is centered properly.

You might also need to glue-on a few extra crosswise pieces [to support the narrower track] if the bridge center is completely open. I can't verify this easily myself, since all my layout stuff has been packed away while I tear down the old layout and build a new improved version.

The primary complaint I've heard about the kit [vs. the built-up model] is getting the motorized mechanism to work properly. This wasn't an issue for me since I didn't feel the need to motorize my turntable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just went upstairs and looked at mine.
it's been over 20 years since I built it, it looks like you just glue a piece of track onto the TT bed after soldering the wires to it FIRST, then snake them down.

Just use the narrowguage track.
As Ken said, the mechanism is kinda sad, mine is the very old model with no gears, never seen the geared one, mine works fine but there is some slop so I get it close and line it up by hand if necessary.

Hey whattaya want for 30 bucks.
I assume this is the one you're looking at?
trains005-1.jpg

I have a couple of other pix posted I think, check the site.
Dick

http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/Capndick/

You'll never get the kit to work properly. If you make it a manual turntable that is the only way.

Hi, plan to go manual. If was going for a serious turntable, I'd go for the diamond scale units but they are very expensive... then again, if I buy a turntable instead of a loco...

Larry,
I'm curious as to why you say this won't work.
The one I have works OK all things considered, it's sloppy but I can usually align it electrically.
Mine doesn't have gears, the motor is connected directly to the table hence the slop.
Here's a link to an article on how to build one using an Atlas TT and some reduction gears, very smart idea.

I wonder if one could use the atlas and gears idea to drive the walthers TT or would alignment be an issue.

Have you seen the newer walthers, the self aligning and very expensive one in operation?
I've thought about replacing mine but why spend the money when mine is somewhat satisfactory.

Your thoughts guys?

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/sgratke/sgrr/trains/matt/index.htm

Dick

I have found that alot of people are not electro-mecahnically inclined to take an existing object and improve it. I may be wrong about this $30-ish kit, but I'd sure like to give it a go. Just to say I tried.

--Jon

There was some discussion around the 90' kit problems and some solutions in this thread: http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15903. I glued rail down rather than track, and I think if you're going to go this route you may need to clearance some for the rail as there may be some interferance from the plastic details on the bridge. I can take a picture and post it later to show you what I mean.

Back