Wabash F7

Have you tried the zip code locator? When I enter my zip code within a 100 mile radius, it shows five retailers, including two Hobbytowns. Best thing to do is find the shops that ordered them and get on the phone and see if they still have one.

... When I enter my zip code within a 100 mile radius, it shows five retailers, including two Hobbytowns...

Is one of those Hobbytowns listed in Alabaster, Jim?

If so, it closed the last day of August. Too high rent and too little inventory. Even on his last day of business, I was told, that he STILL had MSRP on the inventory.

I think I have something similar, alas it will end up as a dummy when the spare axles arrive. Was planning to put it up on evilbay when done.

CJ, the one in Alabaster was indeed listed. Too bad another store has bit the dust. Unfortunately, stores need to be able to compete with internet retailers and it it sounds like he never got the picture.

Thanks guys, I found one. Turns out my LHS had one and didn't know it.:rolleyes: that's par for the course with them. The sound is awsome. I'll add some pictures tomorrow.

This thread is useless without a picture of the unit on the layout.
IMG_1702.jpg

Holy cow, can you imagine how long it would have taken to detail that locomotive in the BB days?

Trent,
I always thought the Wabash was a class act. They where one of the few lines not bankrupt in the mid ‘60’s!
Getting this level of detail from a BB kit would take FOREVER and cost a small fortune! I was thinking about that as I looked at it in the hobby shop. I think the detail parts alone would equal what I paid for the unit and on top of the great looks it sounds and runs AWSOME! I think I’ll just insert this picture into the “what has happened to the hobby” thread!

Detailing wouldn't cost as much as one might think. Making your own grab irons and such is quite easy. And the items such as the truck details, the antenna, and wipers are not that expensive.

Bob

Bob,
You are right truck details, grab irons and, windshield wipers are not expensive. But The etched stainless steal radiator grills, see thru fans with separate blades, the Wabash add on roof top oil cooler, correct horns and antenna, cab interior, correct MU cables and nose receptacle, twin sealed beam head light and operating mars light, correct smaller fuel tank with filler and sight glass detail, fuel tank braces, etched metal battery box vents, correct number boards and class lights, and etched metal pilot steps would add up quick. My point is you couldn’t buy the BB kit and all the detail parts for the price of the finished Genesis model. And never mind that I don’t think my hands are steady enough to add some of these details if I had too! :D

I'm with you on this one, Joe. I did lots of those "super detail" kits on BB F's but the amount of extra parts on this Wabash F, many of which would have to be scatchbuilt, and the electronics, would have been either very expensive or nearly impossible to do back in the 60's and 70's, would add up to a lot of extra cost. Just looking at those skirting modifications gives me a headache. :)

Back