Visiting Rails Of Sheffield on Friday

Thank you for doing this, it pretty much confirms my suspicions regarding UK retailer stocking of US HO scale stock, small numbers of the all bells/whistles versions with little or no plain vanilla versions and undecorated are a non runner, well unless I wanted at least ten of them!!!

Looks like I will be sticking to plucking what comes up on the second hand market here in the UK for now, unfortunately since the demise of Hattons and their quite wide ranging preowned section that used to throw up the odd little gem from time to time, preowned over here has become far less widely available and what is available on the likes of ebay has zoomed up in price.

Thank you for doing this, it pretty much confirms my suspicions regarding UK retailer stocking of US HO scale stock, small numbers of the all bells/whistles versions with little or no plain vanilla versions and undecorated are a non runner, well unless I wanted at least ten of them!!!

Looks like I will be sticking to plucking what comes up on the second hand market here in the UK for now, unfortunately since the demise of Hattons and their quite wide ranging preowned section that used to throw up the odd little gem from time to time, preowned over here has become far less widely available and what is available on the likes of ebay has zoomed up in price.
It's not a problem as I was going there anyway, but although their shop is impressive, they have little in the way of non-sound HO locomotives, and their second-hand stuff is nearly all tucked away in a warehouse, that you can't access.

You could bring a loco in yourself, it's quite easy and you can usually work out what the cost will be before you buy. ie. an undecorated Genisis SW1500 DCC-ready from Midwest Model Railroad, (Athearn don't ship internationally) that would set you back a total of £203 delivered to your door, probably less, as I usually overestimate the postage costs.
And I've just sold 23 DC HO locos to ROS, so they'll be appearing on eBay soon, might be something there for you, if I'd known you were after more locomotives and I had anything you were interested in, you could have had your pick.

I've 2 locos on pre-order this year, one from Scaletrains (an SD40-2) that I'm having to import myself, (it's about £60 cheaper than Mech Models were asking for) I may have to do the same next year with the 5 SD70ACU Military Tribute set that I want, depending on what ROS and Mech Models want to charge me for them, I know what it will cost me to do it.

Last edited:
Also known as "To Hell and Back". 🤣 🤣 🤣
I like RR liveries that are different, it wasn't at Rails of Sheffield shop as all their second-hand stuff is tucked away in a warehouse and is only available online, or I might well have bought it, but at $300 (with sound) too expensive.

Back