Using R/C Servos for turnout actuation.

Jeff,

There you go, trying to confuse Dave by giving him more options to think about! :cool:

Stop the presses. What the h3II. Lol

I did see that too.

The thing is I'm more about doing this myself more then what ever these cost. I know my knowledge of electronics is lacking. That I'm learning. Old dog here so it's not fast. I do know about computers and programming so it's about doing this myself. I'm more about the journey as much as the destination.

I also want this to be a way I can get my son involved in more then video games. Just tonight I had installed the software to program and had a LED flashing. My son loved it. I had him watching some robot wars too. That he loved.
So this is much more then how to control the switches on the layout but that's something I can use to teach us both and have resorts we will remember for life.

Dave

Jeff
Thank you for this information. I love it. I will be reviewing it all.

Keep the info going as I will be posting as I go.

Dave

I just wanted to post here a link to a new thread I started in the Wiring, Electronics, DCC forum. I didn't want this to get to involved in the general discussion section of the form since the discussion was getting more focused. The new thread is located http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?39887-Arduino-and-servo-s-to-control-turnouts-with-DCC. The new thread is focused on the use of DCC, Arduino boards, with servos to control a turnout.

Hope this keep the discussion focused and easier for others to find this information later.

Dave

Thanks, Suzie!

I've added Signalist to my list of servo control vendors for model railroads.

- Jeff

Just a snippet of info - Re servo installation; The connector bodies supplied with standard servos can be slightly different according to two major manufactures - Lets call them Ftype and Jtype. (Those from the RC fraternity will know who they are!!)

Both are rectangular in section but the F type has a small tang added to one edge for polarisation and the body is very slightly wider than the Jtype, (Only by a few thou).

Other manufactures servos will have one or the other.

The tang can be removed but the extra body width of the Ftype restricts the number of plugs that can be fitted onto pins that are spaced on a 0.1" pitch. The Jtype are no problem so any extension lead plugs that need to fit on a 0.1" pitch will need to be Jtype.

Servo Connector Types

All of our Hitec servos come with the “S” or universal connector. This connector works with any brand of receiver, servo controller or servo extension.
Hitec_Connector_Schematic.jpg

Note: This plug can be accidentally plugged into a receiver in reverse. If this happens, no damage will occur, the servo will simply will not work. If you receive a servo and it does not work, make sure that you have plugged it in correctly.

J_connector_2.jpg

All of our Futaba servos come with the “J” or Futaba connector. This connector has a guide on the side of the plastic plug. This connector will not work with Hitec, JR or Airtronic Z or T servo extensions.

JR_connector_2.jpg

JR plugs are the exact same as the Hitec “S” connectors. If you are ordering servos or extensions for your JR system, the universal connectors are what you need.

Ron

Good info, Ron.

Fortunately, I don't think any of the makers of servo-related accessories for model railroading use the Futaba-type connectors with the tang. So it's unlikely to become a concern for anyone considering servos for turnout actuation.

If in doubt, avoid Futaba servos and accessories with Futaba connectors.

- Jeff

Thank you Ron, this is good to know. The best option then is cut off the plug and solder the wires to the source. Likely how I was going to do this or will see when I get to the installing of these.

But really, thanks for the info.

Dave

Back