Using one Tortoise remote mount to drive two turnouts

Odyknuck

I am wondering if anybody has tried to use the remote mount at the Tortoise location to drive one turnout direct off the mount its self and another using the cable assembly that comes with it. I know you would typically use two cable assemblies to do it however just thinking outside the box.

You'll probably have to engineer some sort of crank-connected system, particularly if you're talking about a crossover where the switches throw in opposite directions, but yes it's definitely doable.

You can already do that with an extra Tortoise Cable actuator. The remote mount has 2 slots that a cable wires can clamp to. I was looking at using the other hole to bring a wire straight up from the slider and into the turnout. I would drill a hole up thru the slider and clamp the wire to it. That way it could not move around. My concern is the wire is fixed and the only way to control the tension is by changing the diameter.

As Chris vH (above) states too, unless we misunderstand your question, many many RRers make a 'Z' shaped bell-crank and linkage to throw a 2nd switch via one switch's motor where the two must always be thrown at the same time, such as at a crossover...I've never done it. But it doesn't look very diff to rig up, and I'm sure there are lots 'how to' videos on this..M

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, maybe some clarification is required. I am well aware of bel cranks etc to operate 2 or more turnouts with one switch machine however that is not the question.

I recently purchased 10 of the Tortoise remote mounts for $4.50 each and plan on using them. So my question still stands as stated. Install the remount mount with a Tortoise mounted to it at one turnout to actuate it and the cable assembly/actuator at another turnout.

Ok so I have been experimenting with the remote mount and as expected using the .025"diameter wire, it is flexing the ends of the point rails. So my question is how much is too much?

Ok so I have been experimenting with the remote mount and as expected using the .025"diameter wire, it is flexing the ends of the point rails. So my question is how much is too much?
Hmm, The mechanism is providing so much pressure that the actual point rails in the turnout are flexing? I think that "too much" would be if instead of flexing they bend the rail such that it doesn't flex back.

Back