Using L.E.D. lights to signify close to a bumper

Todd74

I want to use L.E.D. lights on my O-gauge layout. The layout is completed as far as track is concerned and everything operates correctly. My next step is to install L.E.D. lights that will shine on my control panel when a train is backing up to a dead end to indicate when to shut off the power to the track. I acquired a couple of Mike's Train House indicator boxes but I need a bunch of these and they aren't exactly cheap. What would be less expensive but still effective?

What is the easiest way to wire this? What gauge wire do you recommend? I can buy L.E.D. lights 100 for $12 or 100 bi-polar with the resisters for $30. Which way is the best way to go?

Also, I want to use a constant voltage. I thought about buying one of the transformers that lights up sidewalk lights.

Todd, you really only need to post this to one board, not two.

I'd think an optical sensor, that triggers the light, should work fine.

You need the extra transformer to wire your layout lights to the variabe terminals, not the fixed terminals. The lights will be far too bright and burn out much faster getting 16 volts of AC. You can control lighting intensity with the rheostat on the variable side to get the look you want and the bulbs wil last forever due to the lower voltage.

Josh, I have a few of the optical sensors that MTH makes but can you recommend another brand name/ manufacturer of optical sensor that would be less expensive?

Jim, I have two extra ZW transformers as back-ups. I was hoping to get something that would just give the LED lights enough power to work but not burn them out. I also have a bunch of houses and street lights...I wanted to put those lights also on a fixed voltage but would the bulbs be too bright and burn out as well?

Thanks,
Todd

Todd,
Yes, the fixed voltage fron a Lionel transformer is much too high for street and building lighting. Put them on the same terminals you would use for tracks and you can use the speed control handle to brighten and dim the lights. They will look much better, create less heat that melts plastic, and last for about your natural lifetime. :)

You can just use a ow enough voltage for LED's. They run on current, not voltage, although there's a maiximum voltage that they can tolerate. You have to use the correct resistor in line with the wire from the transformer to drop both the voltage and current down to what the LED needs. Is there some reason these have to be LED's? You can get some very small incandescent bulbs that run at 12 or 14 volts and not have to worry about resistors.

I'm not exactly sure what your trying to accomplish. Do you want a light show up on your control panel when a train enters a dead end siding or have a light that works on the layout to indicate the same thing?

Jim,

I want a light on my control panel when a train enters a dead end siding the light shines to indicate it is about 6 inches from the bumper. I use the first level of my platform to park 10 sets of trains.

I followed you on the discussion about the lionel transformer and it makes clear sense to me. I thought about just using the basic bulbs that lionel puts in their track switches or use the red bulbs they use in their bumpers. The light would only be on for a few seconds. The only optical sensor I know about is the one that MTH makes.

PLease continue to guide me in the correct direction.
Thanks!
Todd

The least expensive optical sensors I know of are made by Circuitron. You can get 6 for $16.96 at http://www.internettrains.com/merch...-9206&Category_Code=ELMELCSWTCIROPT&Featured=. You would have to be able to do some soldering to make these work and maybe construct or buy a relay as well. I haven't done much work with these other than kits where they are used to control things like crossing signals and all the parts came with the kits. They have been very reliable for me and work in varying light conditions but won't work in complete darkness. I don't know what the light conditions are on your first platform.

Light the Way

If you have 3 rails it's easy.

The LED needs a 750 ohm resistor on the Positive side rated at 1/2 watt(my preference}.
The negative side needs a 1N4001 diode. Black end pointed away from LED.

Isolate one outer rail by the bumper. connect the LED to center rail + and isolated section -.

My postwar cars have steel wheels and axles. When the train backs over the track the ground circuit is complete and the LED SHINES!!!!!!:cool:

Two Rails would be more complicated. Please tell me your Three :D

I haven't tried reed switches, but they sound appealing for general train detection.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could also use a video detection unit like those used for crossing gates.

Video detection unit? Never heard of one of those. I think you mean optical detection unit. They won't work if his track is on a lower platrorm of the layout and in the dark, or at lest not very bright light. Dub has a great solution if Todd is still following this thread and is using three rail track. Reed switches would also be a possibility in dark conditions.

Back