Using a PLC to control

EB_Danno

HI all,
I am just about to start build a N scale setup. I have a Programmable Logic controller (PLC) and I am wondering if anyone has used one to set up their electrics. What i was hoping to be able to do is write a program so i could just let the trains run and the PLC with a few switches on the track, control the trains. The trains could stop, start and change tracks all controlled with the plc. I think the switching is easy enough, but i need to know if there is a dc controller that can be used with a analogue output card. The PLC will give a variable output that will control the 0-12 Vdc on the DC controller. I will also be able to flick a switch to disable the pre programmed control and be able to run the set up as a regular analogue 2 cab system.
Hope this makes sense.

cheers
Dan

Dan, I think you need to investigate DCC and the interface with JMRI. It will already to most of what you want and it's already standard in the model railroad community. For about $50-90, there are programs that let you set up complete routing and control of the whole layout and you can have multiple trains all running with no operator intervention. PLCs are fine for thing like power plants but it's overkill for model railroading.

Agreed. A plc would be a lot of work but could easily do the job. You'd be running a lot faster with equipment designed for the task. Also Murphy's law always applies. Nothing like putting all of the work in with the PLC only to have it go bad with no replacement. ;)

Dan,
If you already have non DCC trains and your up for it..... I have O27 / O42 … I'm using SLC505 and it can be stuff to get it to do what you want...
lots of testing.... I came up with ways to switch remote switches, change signal lights, turn on and off sections of track... I built my layout about 2yrs
ago... adding sensor, relays.. but I enjoy it.. I finally got the main line or outside loop working... Good like

Yes it can be done, can it be done to your satisfaction, that is a whole different story. Some things to think about, the analog voltage output of the PLC, will not have enough current output to actually run the trains directly. Most PLC's use 24VDC for the digital input signal, where as model train detection systems use 12 -15 volts. There will be challenges in trying to do it with a PLC, none of which are insurmountable, but as others have said, there are easier ways to do it. I started using PLC's, for animation of items on my last layout, (lights, street lights, doors, etc.). Then came Arduino's, and for the intended purpose, were easier, and more versatile to use. Just food for thought.

Note: using ground or neg side for signals to the PLC is easier. . Example O27 isolated tracks or Z-stuff Signals … Also using output cards with relays
makes it easy to control AC to the tracks......

Back