Use your gauges !

Ericsauto

A lesson I keep learning and I just need to stick with it!! After fighting derailments on my double crossover I decided to go back to checking wheels and track with my NMRA ho scale gauge. I found 2 issues. My diesel had a wheel distance too close and my track where the flex met the crossover was too narrow. Like most of us, I over think stuff when the easiest thing to do is just use the gauge. When you have derailments go to the NMRA gauge first before trying to look at anything else. Will save you hours of frustration. Maybe one day I will learn!

A good video from Model railroader:

1645188379940.png

Last edited:
Never knew you could get one, just spent several hrs trawling through to find one, and,as usual, postage is the killer again. :(
I am surprised that Hatton's doesn't have them. I looked! I don't really know any other shops there.

Great video for beginners by the way.

I am surprised that Hatton's doesn't have them. I looked! I don't really know any other shops there.

Great video for beginners by the way.
As most of our rails are section track, no real need, but I think it's a brilliant idea, and the pple who build their own track are a rarity here. We have the b2b for wheels and various tools for minimum curve and track seperation, but I've never seen something like this.

It might have been the sixth item I purchased when I began in the hobby, along with a locomotive, some cars, tracks, a DC power pack, and some structures and kits. I think it came right after the jig saw, or maybe it was the radial arm saw.

Seriously, though, I had been on forums and realized that many were incredulous that a person asking for help either hadn't thought to use his gauge to diagnose a problem, or he didn't even have such a gauge. I got one as soon as I realized its utility, which is quite considerable due to it's various functions.

Then, I began to craft my own hand-laid turnouts. It's utility climbed even further. Nowadays, if a car starts to stringline mid-consist, or one jumps out of the gauge through a turnout that every other item negotiates with easy, I remove the car and reach for the NMRA gauge.

If shipping is too steep by itself, add it to a larger order and wait if you must. Micro Mark should have it, and other tools that are handy for the hobbyist.

Last edited:
I have two that I bought years ago. One hanging on a peg in my shop in the basement, and the other close to the control panel on my layout, in the main floor train room. Now where did I put that last one... Oh! There it is, just like looking for my glasses or keys! :rolleyes: Gage is very handy when replacing the gears on split axle P2K diesels.

I have two that I bought years ago. One hanging on a peg in my shop in the basement, and the other close to the control panel on my layout, in the main floor train room. Now where did I put that last one... Oh! There it is, just like looking for my glasses or keys! :rolleyes: Gage is very handy when replacing the gears on split axle P2K diesels.
Yes, it probably is, I have a B2B but it won't fit over the centre gear, as I found out when I replaced the split gears on my GP 18, I managed it, but this Gauge would have made it a lot easier to do. I'm up to $150 so far with amain hobbies, but they don't have them, I'll keep looking, I don't mind paying $20 postage to the UK but some firms are just milking it.

Wow, that's a rather pleasant discovery. Did you contact them and express your appreciation? (I'm sure you did.)

A few years back, when my wife and I were flying back to Canada from Maui, my wife grew ill as we approached the airport, and when it came time to board I had to be honest with the boarding crew and explain that my wife was not well....for everyone's sake. After some consultation, they concluded that their on-call physician felt that getting her help was out of the question if things went worse mid-Pacific, so we were asked to de-plane. They put us up in one of the few rooms that was available due to the large numbers of tourists on the Island. It was at the Ramada Renaissance Resort in Kaanapali. I hate to think what it cost the airline for that suite on the top floor, and we were much improved the next day and flew home. Within 24 hours I emailed WestJet and thanked them for their courtesy. It saved our vacation after all, and my wife recovered in safety and privacy.

Back