Updating older engines

Just wondering if much can be done with older engines as far as updating goes just to make em a lil bit better then what they are.

For instance this Life Like UP GP38-2 Obviously this one needs a repaint since the colors are off quite a bit, and some detail work would do it some good.
DSC01062.png

If i cant do much to these old loco's im thinking of selling them off for what i can get out of them to buy some updated stuff.

thanks Mike

The one thing you'll learn about the older Life Like (or just Life Like train set) is that they have one powered truck, and one dummy. Slightly newer LL's have the motor mounted to the truck, yours has it inside the body, not sure how those are geared.

IMHO, with all the money you would have to spend on parts - plus all the TIME you would have to spend doing the mods - you'd be better-off buying an already built higher quality model. For example, you can get a GP38-2 of the Atlas "Trainman" series for under $50 at some places. It has the same high-quality drive as regular Atlas locos, but the body is less detailed.

I have to second what Ken says. For the time, effort and cost of parts, it would be better to look at Atlas Trainman or Athearn RTR engines. They are good value for your dollar and look and run great.

Mike I think those older Life-Likes have rubber drive wheels . When that rubber gets old it cracks up and is hard to replace the rubber on them!!!

They are good value for your dollar and look and run great.
No argument there, however when one wants certain models at a decent price they have to be built up from what is readily available as was the modeling in my case.
There is a certain amount of pleasure and sense of achievement in building a model on your own than can ever be obtained from an out of the box, RTR model that has been purchased.
In my case there was CB&CNS MLW C630M models available, however they were brass and in the range of $750.00 Cdn. Way out of my price range and I needed at least 8 to do what I want on my MRR. Mine set me back about $70.00 each. At the time the MLW RS18 wasn't available from anyone shortly after they became available from Horizon Hobbies as a PK-1
In constructing a model railroad there is a requirement for just about everything.;)

I have an old Atlas Conrail C-424 first generation of the ones made in China which are somewhat crude in their details compared to todays models. I detailed an Atlas CN Kato one before but was wondering what you guys suggest to add to this one. I got a book on detailing but it showed a lot of drastic changes and I don't want to go that far if you know what I mean.

I got a book on detailing but it showed a lot of drastic changes and I don't want to go that far if you know what I mean.

Hi Ryan as far as the amount of detailing goes, you only have to do enough to please yourself and give it your best shot. If it's done to impress or please others, well the sky becomes the limit required, and keep in mind you'll not be able to impress the rivet counters. :D
The work required,and the cost of the many small details can add up to where it may be more practical to purchase a new model with all the bells and whistles. However as I posted above there's little challenge in purchasing a model other than where to get the best price.

Cheers Willis

Back