Updating Atlas NECR units

expresshockey35

I have two Atlas New England Central units, numbered 9537 and 9528. Since they were produced, NECR changed their numbers to 3855 and 3848. I'd like to change the number boards and the NECR and numbers on the cab sides to match the font used on these two locos. Any suggestions as to where I can find accurate decals for doing such?

Also, if anyone knows what type air horns these units use, feel free to chime in!

I've done a lot of decaling, and Highball is a great place to get good decals and parts. They have fonts that Microscale just doesn't do (like the Conrail font).

it seems odd to me that a company would spend time producing decals that have never appeared on a NECR loco, yet don't have the accurate decals.

In the meantime, I ordered the Tsunami decoder today, and purchased a Soundtraxx 810112 speaker. It's looking like I've got some work to do to get the speaker to fit. Anybody care to share any tips?

Last edited by a moderator:
it seems odd to me that a company would spend time producing decals that have never appeared on a NECR loco, yet don't have the accurate decals.

Just FYI Microscale and Highball numbers are the wrong color yellow. I Emailed Microscale about that issue and I was told that their EXPERT that sent the info said that is the correct color and thats that. I guess seeing these units every day and sending pictures of every unit with the numbers doesnt qualify so I refrain from purchasing microscale products from now on as they can care less about making correct sets.

Sorry about leading you the wrong way on the Highball lettering.

I also talked to Jim from Highball about doing correct NECR decal numbers and he sent me samples a while ago but they were not good enough as you could see lines in the numbers from the printer trying to make that shade of yellow.

With Microscale and Highball yes so I have been working with a custom decal maker (ELS Trains) and waiting for the sets to arrive as the artwork has been done already.

Eric from ELS is slow from time to time. Not that I can complain, I got my BNSF business train decals from him!

Just got my decals from ELS today here are the NECR sets.

002.jpg

Well I will be definatly starting to work on my 11 NECR units soon, LOL. On top of the Ex BN 4047 and 2 Ex CR SD40's.

Then I will do the CSOR units as they frequently show up on the NECR and I plan to do all 6 B39-8's and the SW1500 along with a couple CEFX SD40-2's.

BTW the decals look real good.

I have 11 Atlas NECR GP38's so most of the work is just renumbering, electronics and details. Then I have an Atlas BN GP40 for the 4047, 2 Kato CR SD40's for the 5032 and 6281, 2 Athearn GATX SD40-2's. Thats pretty much it for the NECR roster. I already have the NECR 3869 Railamerica unit and waiting for the CN GP40-2W's from Atlas. I plan to do most of the NECR Roster and will eventually add some of the lease units and FEC units that are roaming the rails. I even have the 3 NYS&W SD70M's they ran for a little while.

For CSOR I have 6 LMX B39-8's

Just sent ELS an email requesting a sheet of those decals. No wonder why I can't find any more Atlas NECR units..you have a monopoly on them!!! Kidding..be sure to post up pics when you get them updated.

Have you, or do you plan on adding ditch lights to the GP's?

And where are your Railtex decals?

Last edited by a moderator:

Back