UP in North Little Rock

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
Hi everyone.

I thought ya'll might get a kick out of a few photos from Little Rock, Akansas. I'm out here on business but found a little time (actually most of the day :p ) to play around with my new Canon 40D dSLR (the XTi is now the official backup camera).

I guess I'm a long way from home. Someone with the RR called the police on us (LGM was wearing his Rebel XT out the whole time) for shooting off a public overpass (with walkways)! No matter, the officer that responded was very cool and I think a little put out that they wasted his time. After we talked for a minute, he left and we continued photographing UP trains. :cool:

Light engine move.
2265572419_6e92c7a106_o.jpg

UP Yard Power
2265572109_31d7a1cde4_o.jpg

2266360660_70c705bf65_o.jpg

Yard Action
2266361032_82cb98d700_o.jpg

GM~

If you are still there here is a bit of onfo for ya....

Originally Posted by Alcomotive
To Carey!

You are in my o'l stompin grounds!
You can get a tour of the JENKS shop if you request it before noon at the main office. Also they used to allow a pass to take pics down at the yard may not be allowed anymore but you can still get good pics from outside the yard and see the "hump" in operation as well as the diesel fuel racks and service center on the North end. (North East of the Jenks shop) Now for whatever reason if you are unable to get a tour or a pass dont sweat it....

Go to this street...when you leave the Jenks shop take a left which is Pike Ave then go to 365 (aka Broadway Ave) which veers to the left so stay in the left lane. The first street you will come up on is W 4th street follow that then take the first left again. Go straight all the way. this will put you between the Jenks Shop and the MOW tracks you will be in and on public right of way. If you right on to W 8th St you will continue through some backshop areas. I used to get some great pics in this area as well.

Let see what else...oh the best way to get to the hump yard...take 30 east to 40 east then to 161 south aka Jacksonville Hwy take a right on W Bethany Rd and run it down to the yard!

Also there is a nice Hobby shop called ONE TRACK MIND in Mabelvale. It's run by my o'l friend Mark Silverberg. It is next to the UP double main lines as well. Take I 30 west to Mabelvale exit, go south on Mabelvale Pike to Helm Drive and take a left this turns into Train Station Drive and follow it til you see the Depot! PM me I will have a message for you to give him.... :) Here is his website...

http://www.arkansasweb.com/onetrackmind/

Be sure to stop over at the MoPac Union Station adjacent to Cantrell RD which is also La Harpe Rd (I recommend taking that from 67/70 which crosses the river from the Jenks shop) across from Dillards Home Office. Also if you are lucky the LRW runs Alcos from Perry to LR in the merge right there in front of the Union Station there to get to the yard.

Well I could type more for ya...I lived there for 9 years ...how I miss that place so much. A lot of action! If you have a laptop and use google maps my directions will make better sense.

Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, contrary to belief the "Y" does not specifically mean "yard". The "Y" simply means its a UPY mark, not UP. When looking on papers or the computer, the engine would turn up as UPY 846. UP adds the "Y" to the number boards, as it makes it easier to determine what its reporting mark is. UP 846 should turn up a GP38, where-as UPY 846 is an SD38.

Grande man...again again very nice pictures!!
Glad to read/see something about you...!
the third one is my fav.

Jos

Sure thing Paul. The UPY appears in most yards, however is not a yard specific reporting mark.

I'm only 2 hours from North Little Rock, so I am familiar with the area. The North Little Rock yard is one helluva yard. Oh grande man, did you take those from the I-30 overpass? It sure looks like you did.

-quakers1

Nice shots, even if you did get sme of the post 9/11 paranoia reaction. I had an UP special agent and about four local untis roll up on me one day wile also taking pictures from a pubic overpass. I was still active duty then and told them I was assigned to take pictures of possible terrorist targets for our database. The special agent was nice as could be after that. He even gave me one of his hard hats and a orange Police vest and told me I could take pictures anywhere where I want. The thing that got me was all I did was flash my badge at them. Badges are a dime a dozen - you can get them anywhere on the internet. It's the ID card that matters, I expected them to call my supervisor and at least confirm I was how I said I was but they never did. They never did though, which makes me wonder about how well things like rail yards reallly are secured.

Anyway, nice pictures as usual. When did the UP start putting the reflective stripes on the noses? This is the first I've seen of them.

GM~

If you are still there here is a bit of onfo for ya....

Originally Posted by Alcomotive
To Carey!

You are in my o'l stompin grounds!
You can get a tour of the JENKS shop if you request it before noon at the main office. Also they used to allow a pass to take pics down at the yard may not be allowed anymore but you can still get good pics from outside the yard and see the "hump" in operation as well as the diesel fuel racks and service center on the North end. (North East of the Jenks shop) Now for whatever reason if you are unable to get a tour or a pass dont sweat it....

Go to this street...when you leave the Jenks shop take a left which is Pike Ave then go to 365 (aka Broadway Ave) which veers to the left so stay in the left lane. The first street you will come up on is W 4th street follow that then take the first left again. Go straight all the way. this will put you between the Jenks Shop and the MOW tracks you will be in and on public right of way. If you right on to W 8th St you will continue through some backshop areas. I used to get some great pics in this area as well.

Let see what else...oh the best way to get to the hump yard...take 30 east to 40 east then to 161 south aka Jacksonville Hwy take a right on W Bethany Rd and run it down to the yard!

Also there is a nice Hobby shop called ONE TRACK MIND in Mabelvale. It's run by my o'l friend Mark Silverberg. It is next to the UP double main lines as well. Take I 30 west to Mabelvale exit, go south on Mabelvale Pike to Helm Drive and take a left this turns into Train Station Drive and follow it til you see the Depot! PM me I will have a message for you to give him.... :) Here is his website...

http://www.arkansasweb.com/onetrackmind/

Be sure to stop over at the MoPac Union Station adjacent to Cantrell RD which is also La Harpe Rd (I recommend taking that from 67/70 which crosses the river from the Jenks shop) across from Dillards Home Office. Also if you are lucky the LRW runs Alcos from Perry to LR in the merge right there in front of the Union Station there to get to the yard.

Well I could type more for ya...I lived there for 9 years ...how I miss that place so much. A lot of action! If you have a laptop and use google maps my directions will make better sense.

Have fun!

Thanks Alco! The weather turned lousy on us so we didn't shoot anymore railfan pics. We did manage to visit One Track Mind this morning. Little Grande and I spent two hours there (and a few $$$)! Thanks for the tip!

No problem! Glad you were able to get around a little bit!

Alco;

Don't know if I ever told you thanx or not myself, for those directions. My wife and I did hit OTM when we were over there. As GMan said, spent several hours and even some $$$$ there.

We are going to LR again next week to see daughter, and hopefully will be able to spend some more $$$$ there!

Carey~

You did...not to worry! Well have fun when you go again. If you guys need more places to go. Pinebluff is pretty good for their yard and the 819 museum as well. Pinebluff is a little rough around the edges but still good place to visit.

Alco out!

Back