UP heritage rolling stock

tootnkumin

Staff member
Hear is a pic from the web of UP Heritage loco D&RGW #1989 at the head of a fleet of restored coaches etc.
995112995612591.png

Does anyone know of a website or forum thread that lists (preferably with pics) the cars that are in this fleet. I have been searching without much luck (even the UP historical society has nothing that I could find).

Youtube so far has been the best resource, I have managed to identify 26, possibly 27 coach/head end equipment by name or number (a few by both) which may be the full roster or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last time I counted I believe there are 53 cars in the fleet, not counting the Locos. I think it's amazing that the UP continues this endeavor as the cost of maintaining this project has to be substantial. Thank you UP for keeping this piece of history alive.
That is not the only reason they do it. The executive fleet is used for normal day to day management of the system. Then there is the marketing factor.

The Steam Program Locos are not part of the executive fleet. They are maintained out of a separate unit. I don't know if the E units and the Centennial are executive, heritage, maintance, or just in the normal loco pool.

The 1989 shown in the picture is in the normal loco pool. For the longest time the Denver dispatchers always assigned it to the Denver merchandise that ran back and forth between the North Yard and Pueblo. That kept it more or less captive to Denver. They would let it go for special events in Colorado. I love this shot I got of it behind the 844 on the State Fair Special. Notice the slight blur on the street sign. This is because we had gotten slightly behind and at that moment we were going about 100 mph to catch up.
1989speedlimit.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There really isn't any "normal" loco. Both steamers pull them depending on the event. I've seen the Centennial pulling them and also the graceful A-B-A E units. Here in Omaha the 844 will again be on display for the length of the College World Series as it was last year. Last year along with 844, there were a number of the passenger car fleet on display along with a shiny new GEVO.

The former UP shops' property adjoins the new baseball stadium. UP laid down some giant size "snap track" last year to accommodate this display. I think it took around 1100 ft. of track. The UP used some of the passenger cars to entertain customers.

As you can see from the picture in this post, an SD70ACe is also appropriate. Pretty much depends on the event and where the trip takes place. In short, use whatever motive power you like. The CWS starts tomorrow on ESPN. Watch carefully and you may get a glimpse of 844 & friends.

Thankyou gentlemen for that info, especially Hergy for the links. I knew there would be someone with that knowledge on here. I did enjoy my research on youtube, seeing these great cars and locos in action is a great thrill, as I mentioned in my intro, they represent my earliest memories of U.S. trains.

I have just pre-ordered an Athearn Genesis w/sound version of D&RGW #1989 and would love to build a representation of one of these special trains. I have a number of the older Walther's cars but the colour of the Armour yellow has a much more greenish appearance which is especially noticeable compared to the 3 Rapido cars I also have, which seem to be a much better match. One of the major difficulties today of course is that model manufacturers are now only producing limited runs and not holding stock like they used to, so I'll just have to see how I go.

Looks like I may have to invest in that air brush that's been on the "must buy" list.

The 5 cars that I bought from internettrains.com arrived today and they look very nice. Haven't unpacked them yet but comparing the yellow paint color (must remember to use US spelling) is definitely better than the one on the older Walthers UP cars that I'm mostly going to sell. I didn't buy the "Willie James" as Walthers have just used the old 10-6 Budd sleeper and repainted and named it. The prototype which is based on that car has had several changes made to it to make it into a crew car (changes to the windows, a kitchen by the look of it and a lounge area) and as I have 2 of the old ones I might as well have a go at repainting and decaling to do the same.

well as the Union pacific former C.E.O. said " WE GET MORE DONE IN A TOWN WHEN WE BRING IN THE STEAM PROGRAM,THEN A ROOM FULL OF LAWYERS":)

Once upon a time I found a list on UP's site about the cars (no images, it was weird), but had information about each car. Now I can't find it!

Thanks for the picture list links - those are super cool.

Back