UP ac4400 build.

love the red stripes. they actually look like they reflect the light a little like the real thing. i've got a couple UP engines and the dull red stripes drive me crazy. where did you get the decals?

thanks, the more i got put on as far as numbers and such the not so very straight stripes didnt look as bad, but im pretty pleased with it.

As far as the stripes and the rest of the decals they are micro scale decals.

thanks, might have to pick some up! how do they look in person, do they reflect the light at all?

yeah they do. i havent shot a coat of dullcoat over em yet so not sure how they will be after that. ill post some pics up after that part gets done. May be a day or 2.

Well got the entire cab done p with grab irons, just gotta finish the decals, # boards, get the glass put in and shoot it with dullcoat. Oh yeah and paint the grabs to.

DSC01071.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well got the entire cab done p with grab irons, just gotta finish the decals, # boards, get the glass put in and shoot it with dullcoat.

DSC01071.jpg

Stupid McAfee is blocking your image...
WHY DID I EVER INSTALL THAT USELESS PIECE OF &%$*!!! :mad:

Edit: now it doesn't block it anymore. weird.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok one more update then itll be a lil whie for the next as im awaiting some parts to show up for it.

UP6724.jpg

DSC01075.jpg

DSC01076.jpg

DSC01077.jpg

DSC01078.jpg

Still some things left to do though.

Well the decals are done for the most part still need to do front # boards and data tags once they get here & install glass, F & R lights & visors. Also need to get some # boards ordered as i dont have any like I thought.

Need to install the rest of the grab irons & paint them (waiting on #80 bits to get here.)

Need to touch up some areas of the vents that need more grey, fill all the vents in with black. (JOY any tips on this?)

Need to detail the window trim & paint the front face of the steps white then shoot the dull coat on.

Got a lil over spray on the cab as i forgot to paint the top of the hood grey till everything was already on it. Which is fine its gonna get a good weathering anyways.

Well i think that should about do it on the shell, unless ya can point out anything i missed possably. The 2 major goofs I can see i did are the UP logo and the WWD logo on each side isnt quite in the same place as the real deal, but hey i think it looks damn good. This is my first custom paint and decal job in ill bet 5 years so im quite pleased.

For the vents, a fine point brown Sharpie does good job. The black one actually make the vents too dark, but the brown seems about right to me.

The Fade Process

Hello I just wanted to say you did a very good job.But if you were going with union pacific there paint color is a bit more orangey I would say.But its pretty cooL!

Hello I just wanted to say you did a very good job.But if you were going with union pacific there paint color is a bit more orangey I would say.But its pretty cooL!

yeah everything went well till i cleared over the decals then disaster struck.

So the engine is getting stripped and starting over and ill be using a different brand of paint for the UP yellow.

Be sure to use a setting solution on your decals next time to avoid the decals silvering. I use Micro Set while I'm working the decals into position, then after the decal is about half the way to being dry, I touch it with a drop of Micro Sol. The trick with that stuff is not to touch the decal at all as the Micro Sol evaporates. When it's dry, everything should be settled down pretty good. If not, repeat the Micro Sol process until everything is settled down.

Those stripes are always a bear. BNSF and Southern are the two I hate doing for that reason. Southern more so, because the imitation aluminum stripe will lighten if you have any overlap of the decals, so they have to be end joined.

Good luck!

Be sure to use a setting solution on your decals next time to avoid the decals silvering. I use Micro Set while I'm working the decals into position, then after the decal is about half the way to being dry, I touch it with a drop of Micro Sol. The trick with that stuff is not to touch the decal at all as the Micro Sol evaporates. When it's dry, everything should be settled down pretty good. If not, repeat the Micro Sol process until everything is settled down.

Those stripes are always a bear. BNSF and Southern are the two I hate doing for that reason. Southern more so, because the imitation aluminum stripe will lighten if you have any overlap of the decals, so they have to be end joined.

Good luck!

I did use micro sol & micro set.

Back