Under table power actuator

wayles3

I have heard that while building my layout to work in a power linear actuator to lift the table off the benchwork for easier workmanship. (Instead of crouching underneath) the benchwork to work on the electrical.
I am looking at just a 4x8 sheet of plywood with henges on the 8' side and using 120v. That way I do not have to convert from 12v to 120v. Just push a button and the tabletop rises or lowers.
Any ideas?

Think instead I would just use hinged arms that lock in the up position. Or save even more money by just propping it up with a 2x4 in a secure position…. I thought about doing this but decided not to since I have segmented benchwork, but one sheet of plywood should be easily accomplished…

Would think it would be cheaper to build a custom creeper with backrest to put you at the height and angle that is most comfortable to work under the railroad.

I put my layout at 48" and that makes it easy to work under it.

Or, you could put your table top on a desk like this, goes up and down:

20220225_125009.jpg

It goes up to 48" I believe.

The name is zhehiang jiecang linear motion. When I googled it they sent me elsewhere where the actuators only are sold.

Check it out, Dave

My layout's lowest distance from the floor is 48 inches. To perform work under the layout, I use a mechanic's chair on rollers and simply use my two feet to move around under the layout. The chair has a shelf under the seat that can be used to carry tool and supply while working under the layout.

Greg

Back