Under Construction - Birmingham UK

Thanks for that - I guess if I "knew" that was how I was going to use 'em I'd have laid 'em out a little differently. Magic marker (you call 'em fine-liners I believe) on any exposed backs/sides?

Cheers,
Ian

Hi Ian

Yep - silver sharpie pens are best. Do you have those over there?

HTH

Jim

Happy memories seeing Fifties in the 80's, it was Diesel paradise back then. Excellent pics Jim.

You might like this then Steve - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USmlQDdH67s More in the links.

Another pic

BNS%20arrival.jpg

Cheers

Jim

Hi All

A while back I took a few shots under the bridge which came out quite well. However the lack of point motors bugged me so I have redone them. Also with the extra bridge supports that I have only just done and a bit of clutter on the platform

view%20under%20bridge%204.jpg

I won't reload all 3 images but just wanted to say that my Mrs saw me reading this thread yesterday and looking at the last set of pictures, she commented and said to me "why are you looking at those, that looks like a British railway and you do American!"

I explained to her that it was a model but she didn't believe me because of the way you've captured the wetness on some of the sleepers until I showed her the rest of the thread lol...

Kudos to you Jim, it is a superb bit of modelling and photography!

Yep - silver sharpie pens are best. Do you have those over there?

Yep! Thanks! I actually recently picked up a *huge* box of 'em at Costco - A lifetime supply for about what you'd pay for half a dozen "locally".

Another Q; As a frequent BR traveller in the 70's and 80's (Kent into Charing Cross mainly) they used some cars that had "private" compartments - A door and seats on either side - No corridor. We could generally take one over completely and get up to no good..... ;) I don't think I've seen any of those in your pix?

Cheers,
Ian

Hi Ian

Non corridor stock was pretty rare by the era I model, there was still some but it caused all sorts of problems with passengers wanting the Loo and "revenue protection"

Regards

Jim

Another outstanding bit of modelling Jim, I'm especially liking the side scrapes on I would imagine something hard & rubber! lol..

What was it originally if it was from the scrap bin??

Hi All

A few more shots from today for you.

overview%203%20march%202011.jpg

overview%202%20march%202011.jpg

Some quiet moments

128%20at%20BNS%20march%202011.jpg

A class 128 arrives from Wolverhampton

58040%20at%20BNS%20march%202011b.jpg

Class 58 'on the drags'

108%20at%20bns%20march%202011.jpg

Class 108 rests between duties

hst%20at%20bns%20march%202011%20a.jpg

HST heads for the coast

101%20at%20BNS%20march%202011.jpg

Class 101 deputising for the usual 116 departs for Redditch

Cheers

Jim

Jim, I've been following your progress in the Australian and UK forums, as well as watching your webpage. As a new member to this forum I've just found your excellent work again! I have sincerely enjoyed your work the continuing progress and your dedication and enthusiasm. I tip my hat you, mate. I'm a real fan of the 08 shunters by the way. I had two of them as a nipper and I hope to pick one up from my local shop this weekend. Your work is inspiring to many of us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All

Work on the bridge piers for the London end tunnel

bridge-support-Derby-side-1.jpg

Theres a chance viewers might get to see some of this side if the wall and the road above dont block the view

bridge-support-derby-side-2.jpg

No chance they will get to see this side though!

Cheers

Jim

Thanks

They are wood overlaid with paper and the angled bits are plasticard. They were sprayed with plasticote suede textured paint before the details were added from microstrip and wire.

Hth

Jim

Amazing work Jim. My family is from England, my Mum especially was amazed at the realism and detail you have captured so far. Brought back many fond memories. I look forward to more!

Back