Uncoupling in N

TaeOH

or just Tom...
How does it work? I have noticed that none of the operations videos I have watched in N scale ever show the uncoupling, usually the video is spliced at that point.

Are the magnets not very useful in N? Do you just do it by hand?

Last edited by a moderator:
Next time you go to Mcdonal's grab a few of the coffee sticks the pointy end is the right size for N scale :D

I uncouple my Rapido couplers by hand and for my MicroTrain couplers I still prefer to use a hand pick.

I uncouple my Rapido couplers by hand and for my MicroTrain couplers I still prefer to use a hand pick.

I experimented with some Micro Train conversions, but not trying to uncouple by magnet yet. The Rapido couplers have to go, but I am not so sure buying the Magnematic couplers are really buying me anything.

I am using rare earth magnets in my track and the un-coupling seems to work fairly well.
I found some round disk magnets that fit between the sections of code 80 track without any mods. One disk under each rail then ballast the track and the disks are hidden from view.

album.php

Yes it is a small area to hit with the train when backing up but they do work.
Best part is 25 magnets cost something like 4 bucks.
MT couplers work but I found that Accumates work better and you usually dont have to mess with them, work right out of the box.
If you want to uncouple on the other side of the layout then these might not be for you but all of mine are up front and personal so I am pleased with their performance.
I am also using all plastic wheels so I cant tell you how using metal wheelsets would affect magnetic uncoupling.
Your mileage may vary.
good luck.

Walter

After more conversions to MT couplers, I realized why people love them. They couple really well and the spring tension on the couplers gives the train a more realistic look while starting up the train.

Do Accumates have the spring tension too?

I am debating on whether or not to move to metal wheel sets. Uncoupling the MT couples with a pick is really easy, so I am not sure if using magnets is the direction I will go. The local club uses MT couplers, but trims off the metal bar to have a more prototype look and just uncouples manually. I did not ask them about metal or plastic wheels though.

After more conversions to MT couplers, I realized why people love them. They couple really well and the spring tension on the couplers gives the train a more realistic look while starting up the train.

Do Accumates have the spring tension too?

I am debating on whether or not to move to metal wheel sets. Uncoupling the MT couples with a pick is really easy, so I am not sure if using magnets is the direction I will go. The local club uses MT couplers, but trims off the metal bar to have a more prototype look and just uncouples manually. I did not ask them about metal or plastic wheels though.

Hey, Tom. I have mixed MT with Accumates with out any problems.

As far as whether or not to move to metal wheel sets...If you are not using magnets then definitely go with metal wheel sets. It will make a world of difference in keeping your track clean. There are a couple of threads on this forum that debate this issue in more detail. Take a look at: http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=114550#post114550

Back