Ultrasonic cleaning vs Blasting booth

V&TFAN

I have several pieces of brass and some plastic that need painting. 15 years ago, I would have used a sandblasting booth. I lean toward the Booth because that is what I'm familiar with, but before I invest in a new one, does anyone have any experience in the new ultrasonic cleaners?

Will they remove tarnish? What are the up side and downside of the ultrasonic cleaners?

Thanks

Charles

I use both. The blasting booth to get old clear coat off, and give some profile, the ultrasonic cleaner to get residual blasting media, skin oils and other contaminates off. Then I rinse the parts and blow dry them with compressed air. If I had to choose one or the other, I'd pick the blasting booth. Ultrasonic cleaners won't take tarnish or old clear coat off, just dirt and oils. Also, if there are any loose parts or cold solder joints on the model, the ultrasonic will find them. It shakes the bejesus out of everything!

Water with a little dishwashing liquid works. I also use simple green or other degreasers from Sam's club.

Back