Tyco crossing signal help

wiley209

I recently got an interesting vintage accessory for my HO-scale model railroad layout. It is the early 1980s Tyco lighted crossing signal:
937_signal_crossing.jpg

It is designed so when a train passes over it, the lights flash in an alternating manner like a real crossing (albeit rather fast), and a small wind-up bell inside the plastic loading dock dings. I have tested it, and so far I can get the bell to work (it doesn't require electricity, as it works via a wind-up mechanism), but the lights don't flash. The connections look fine, and it appears that the lights get their power from the rails. It has good electrical connection; I actually had a short train pass over it with no problem. The problem is most likely that the bulbs are burnt out.

How could I change the bulbs? I know the front "STOP ON RED SIGNAL" thingy can be removed to access the bulbs, but I want to actually replace the bulbs inside. I am considering using red LEDs, or should I go for a different type of bulb? (the ones inside are incandescent)

I recently got an interesting vintage accessory for my HO-scale model railroad layout. It is the early 1980s Tyco lighted crossing signal:
937_signal_crossing.jpg

It is designed so when a train passes over it, the lights flash in an alternating manner like a real crossing (albeit rather fast), and a small wind-up bell inside the plastic loading dock dings. I have tested it, and so far I can get the bell to work (it doesn't require electricity, as it works via a wind-up mechanism), but the lights don't flash. The connections look fine, and it appears that the lights get their power from the rails. It has good electrical connection; I actually had a short train pass over it with no problem. The problem is most likely that the bulbs are burnt out.

How could I change the bulbs? I know the front "STOP ON RED SIGNAL" thingy can be removed to access the bulbs, but I want to actually replace the bulbs inside. I am considering using red LEDs, or should I go for a different type of bulb? (the ones inside are incandescent)

It seems that most folks nowadays use LEDs, and they are the most available. HOWEVER, LEDs require resistors if you are going to connect them to 12-18v (DC or DCC), or they will burn out immediately. I personally use mostly incandescent red bulbs from Model Power (Walthers probably carries them). Just be sure you order the 12-14 volt bulbs. Hope this helps.
Happy Holidays!

OK, I got the new bulbs, but I did a bit of experimenting as well, by cutting one of the original bulbs loose from the signal and testing it on a 9-volt battery, and it actually lit up! So that means it's not the bulbs that were the problem; it has to be a connection issue. The crossing bell works fine, but it's hard for me to try and trace the connection problem without damaging it. Anyone able to help me out here?

Back