Two N-scale motors on a DZ126? Probably not...

MikeOwnby

I'm doing a DCC conversion on an older model Bachmann DDA40X with two motors. I've already ordered two DZ126's to run them. Of course, it'll be a bit of a pain to program them considering that I'll have to re-assign light functions to the individual decoders (remember the roof strobe?) since I'm going with the tinier DZ126 instead of the DZ146. However, I'm now wondering, would the Z-scale decoders actually handle two n-scale motors? I can't imagine running into this particular scenario again, but it'd be nice to have the knowledge. I just can't see one decoder handling both of the motors, but I have no way to test the amp draw. If anyone has any DEFINITIVE info on whether that would work I would appreciate it. I'm a bit in the dark about just how much current various N-scale motors do actually draw and whether the decoders are actually on the threshold of what's needed or could actually double up.

Each one is rated for 1 amp continuous motor load, 1.5 amp peak. So, no problem with handling n scale motors.

Each one is rated for 1 amp continuous motor load, 1.5 amp peak. So, no problem with handling n scale motors.

I do know the specs on the decoders, and I know they'll handle n-scale motors, but will one DZ126 handle two older model n-scale Bachmann motors? What's the amperage draw on TWO old Bachmann motors in the DDA40X? This is why I sort of all-capped DEFINITIVE in my original post. I can't find specific info on the early Bachmann DDA40X motors or any info on someone doing a DCC conversion on one. Not sure how much it matters; like I said, I've already committed to two decoders at this point and I don't know of any other two-motor locomotives where this would come up again. Curiosity and knowledge as to how much extra wriggle room the decoders have over what they're having to power, I guess.

I'm doing a DCC conversion on an older model Bachmann DDA40X with two motors...

Have you replaced the axle gears? That model was terrible about having the axle gears split. If it still has the original axle gears, I wouldn't bother because if they haven't split they probably will. If you can afford it, I would definitely suggest looking at the newer runs, they look and run much better.

...but I have no way to test the amp draw...

Do you not have a multimeter? If not, you need to get one, they are very handy for model railroaders.

...However, I'm now wondering, would the Z-scale decoders actually handle two n-scale motors?...
Almost certainly. 1 amp continuous and 1.5 amp max would allow for .5 amp per motor slipping and .75 amp per motor stalled. I don't think I've seen any N scale locos come close to these values.

Thanks, Robert. It does have all original parts, but it also won't be hauling heavy loads or even run all that much. An occasional run around the museum's dogbone every few months or so pulling four or five passenger cars. If it does eventually die I'll park it and no big loss. This is more of a learning project than anything else. I did actually get a newer and "better" one at one point, but it got sent back because the railings were warped. That seems to be a fairly consistent problem with those from what I can tell in pictures. I'd rather have it dead and pretty than running and ugly since it's just a museum piece. I'd actually heard that they broke driveshafts, but not about split gears. In any case, I'm going into this knowing it could very well break at some point.

I do have a multimeter, but while I can solder basic circuitry and even wire an entire house, I'm a bit at a loss as to how one would even go about testing how much amperage a motor is drawing. Honestly I've only ever tested voltage and resistance. Guess I could probably google it and find out quickly enough.

Thank you for the info. I've already ordered two DZ126, but I've also got a couple other locos (and more) that do need wired installs, so I may go ahead and grab a DZ146 to put in this thing instead of doing two DZ126. It would be interesting and fun to have a loco with two decoders, but as I've said I can't imagine when it would ever come up again so I guess other than the "fun" of it there wouldn't be much point in doing it that way now that I know :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I do know the specs on the decoders, and I know they'll handle n-scale motors, but will one DZ126 handle two older model n-scale Bachmann motors? What's the amperage draw on TWO old Bachmann motors in the DDA40X? This is why I sort of all-capped DEFINITIVE in my original post. I can't find specific info on the early Bachmann DDA40X motors or any info on someone doing a DCC conversion on one. Not sure how much it matters; like I said, I've already committed to two decoders at this point and I don't know of any other two-motor locomotives where this would come up again. Curiosity and knowledge as to how much extra wriggle room the decoders have over what they're having to power, I guess.
sorry, my rsponse was a little too brief.
Yes, one decoder should have no trouble with two n scale motors.

Back