TV tonight "Rising From the Rails /The Story of the Pullman Porters"

M

MHinLA

This is airing in Los Angeles tonight, Wed., 2/19/20 on public station KCET 28... (I don't know what that would be for those outside L.A. though). I watched a preview and there are a lot of RR pics and vids included this historical documentary..

This is airing in Los Angeles tonight, Wed., 2/19/20 on public station KCET 28... (I don't know what that would be for those outside L.A. though). I watched a preview and there are a lot of RR pics and vids included this historical documentary..
So what did you think of it? I recorded it last fall and finally got around to watching it over the holiday break.

Ehhh. I was expecting a longer documentary. 45 Min was odd.. I guess it's my age, because, except for personal names/stories of, there wasn't anything I didn't already know...I mean, that, although the black man then was paid a 'living' wage, he was still being kept subservient to white people and so remained 'invisible' to the middle and upper class passengers...Surprised, though, I don't think the Jim Crow era was mentioned. But maybe that's because it was before the introduction of Pullman cars. I may be wrong there...
Anyway, the few shots of the trains were enjoyable as well as the stories which were mostly heart rendering..

Last edited by a moderator:
Ehhh. I was expecting a longer documentary..
That was my reaction too. I don't know what I was expecting but not quite what they presented. Maybe a bit more details about the economics of it from the company side? Maybe more of what a typical work day involved. I know they brushed over it, but I didn't hear anything about how they had to work to get the car cleaned before passengers arrived, but didn't start getting paid until they did arrive. I was shocked at the report of Rockefeller pitching his tip dimes behind him on the ground. That is beyond my comprehension. I did like how the porters were very proud of their position. I wish more people today would take pride in their work, whatever work that might be.

Back