$#@%^ turnouts

TomR

I don't know how Atlas and whoever made my other turnouts makes the connections inside, but several turnouts have high resistance between rails that pass electrical connections under the plastic. Sometimes it is a pretty steady 1-3 ohms, sometimes nearly open until I pass load current through the path.

My bet is they have unreliable pressure connections in the things.

I soldered little jumper wires around their hidden path and now the resistance is essentially zero on paths along like sides of the rails.

None of these are supposed to be selected rail gets power. They are all supposed to be all power all the time.

Something to watch for.

I've had a lot of problems with them also.
Mine were always where the rivots are, too loose! Poor quality for sure, I would get them installed and soldered in only to find out it didn't work (you take for granted its good). They were always decent for the price, if I didn't have so many already bought , I'd switch to Peco's or something else. If a person needs a lot of turnouts it gets to be an investment. I always tried to keep the budget down so I could get more of other things for the layout.

They keep changing them over the years, not always for the better but always costing more (I remember $4.99 ea). The Point rails used to be a solid rail, now it's just a cheap stamped piece, but they did make the Frog solid metal, the old ones had plastic that would wear down and cause derailments. Some had the points pivot with plastic tabs holding it in place and would easily pop out.

They keep changing them over the years, not always for the better but always costing more (I remember $4.99 ea). The Point rails used to be a solid rail, now it's just a cheap stamped piece, but they did make the Frog solid metal, the old ones had plastic that would wear down and cause derailments. Some had the points pivot with plastic tabs holding it in place and would easily pop out.

I guess I'll fix mine as they develop problems. Everything I've looked at seems to have some sort of design shortfall.

I have some with plastic frogs that I like because they are quieter, so if and when they wear out I'll just either make new frogs or buy replacements.

What bothers me is the inconsistent connections through the turnouts, but it is easily solved by soldering in some very thin copper jumpers that are hidden from view. I just repaired one that was totally open on a pass through. I added jumpers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is anyone making turnouts that bend instead of hinge?
I think the Shinohara's do, which are very good.

I take that back! Those don't either but they are a good turnout. The only ones I can think of are Handlaid from scratch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back