Turnout Indicators

maczimb

Hi All.
It's been a while since I was here.
I have about 15 turnouts on my layout, problem is that I tend to not set them correctly, resulting in derailments.
I use Atlas snap switches with remote.
Is there any way I can, at a glance, know which way the turnout is set, some sort of light or mechanical flag???
Thanks in advance.
Mac

I think you could build a panel with indicator lights to show which position each switch was in. I sidestepped the whole complicated issue by going completely manual with my snap switches...
IMG_3758.jpg

Still need to paint the little indicators red and green. Just like an engineer, I'll need to watch each indicator flag as I'm approaching, and if necessary, stop to send a man out (me:)) to pull the bar.

Hi Tooter.
Thanks for the input.
Yes a panel with red and green lights would be great BUUUUUT-----.
How would I get those lights to light up. The remote actuators are momentary switches, so once I take my finger off the button, the power is gone.
Another possibility is a mechanical flag, but there is not enough power in the solenoid to move a flag.
Mac

Under the table turnout motors have panel light position indicating capabilities. The Caboose high throws I'm using also have the option of extending the rod connected to the flag down below the table to be turned from underneath.

Your description of the situation highlights exactly why I went completely manual. Since I just don't have the abilities to try to overcome all of the obstacles with more and more complexity...
IMG_3770.jpg

...I chose simplicity. :)

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes a panel with red and green lights would be great BUUUUUT-----.

The remote actuators are momentary switches, so once I take my finger off the button, the power is gone.
Which point/switch motors are you using? I'm using Seep and the Seep PM1 has a built in switch, see here

It shows how to wire up indicator lights using the auxillary switch.

Angie

thats how i approached it

DSC_3515-vi.jpg

position is taken from pair of micro-switches mounted underneath

DSC_8919-vi.jpg

I use a simpler approach...I just hit the push-button for the route the train is supposed to take. If the switch is already there, no harm done. If it's not, it gets set...Problem solved...:D

I use a simpler approach...I just hit the push-button for the route the train is supposed to take. If the switch is already there, no harm done. If it's not, it gets set...Problem solved...:D

That's what I want to do. I was looking at getting the NCE mini panel. What do you use?

Thanks,

Michael

That's what I want to do. I was looking at getting the NCE mini panel. What do you use?

I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you already switching the route with DCC or push buttons on a control panel?

If you are then does the switch motor have a built in auxillary switch that you can use for indicator LEDs?

Angie

Mike...I use "home made" Masonite panels with Radio Shack push buttons (N/O). I've "drawn" the trackplan on the fascia using modeling pinstriping tape with the push buttons placed accordingly on the track plan.

Let me clarify a little. Right now I'm using NCE DCC throttle to control my turnouts (Peco w/switch machines) connected to DS64s.

What I want to do, is have a push button to trigger routes. I was thinking about getting the NCE mini-panel.

I was not looking for a light indicators though, just something for push-button routing.

Thanks,

Michael

Ok, from what I've read abut routing, you can program macros in the NCE Powercab to throw multiple switches. There is a downside to this though as the macro works in order. This means that if there are 3 switches in the macro, then each will be thrown in order and not as one.

More DCC experienced members may be able to add more.

Angie

Angie, you are basically correct, the macro will only throw turnouts in series, although the turnouts can be thrown in any order you wish. If you think about it, allowing a macro to throw several switches at once could easily blow the control station, since NCE has no way to know how many total amps you have available. Depending on the type of switch machine, you can easily draw an amp per machine when it's activated. Combined with a number of trains running, this could mean some magic smoke somewhere. :)

Back