Trying to get started (HO scale)

I was already thinking of a road construction company with it's own asphalt plant and concrete. To go towards the end of the other leg

That's the 2 I was thinking of and then I was looking at some models in a KitBasher series to use for office and repair shop. Tell the truth I'll probably go a lot over board with the road company since I work for a fairly large company in Florida. Now another question I went into my local big box home improvement store about had to call rescue in the lumber aisle. Anybody try masonite board?

Masonite is usually used for front fascia and backdrops . Most people use either foam or plywood or a combination for the sub bed.

No ,not really , I use foam. Prices on it are the same as a year ago. The only plywood I use is Revolution Ply and its still selling for $15/4x8x 5mm sheet.Thats what the Caboose throws are sitting on. The only building materials that work are plywood ,foam , or Homasote . I don't think you can get Homasote anymore , at least its no commonly available throughout the country. Hardboard won't take a nail , if it gets exposed to moisture it will move and sag, its fine for backdrop or fascia .
Just_in_time.JPG

Back again I dont know if I need to move this to another topic or what but if yall dont mind I'd like to keep this running as long as possible I need ALL THE HELP I can get.

Tore out all my old stuff and replaced with the new layout base. I really wished I could have done some curves along the sides but not a whole lot of room to play with and try to get the max square footage, but I'm hoping to use landscaping to help cover the straight line effect.

Attachments

• 20210605_121009.jpg
    20210605_121009.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 107
Ho scale
Oh yes most definitely freelance
Total size. 19x11
Because of limited space I plan on running mostly 50ft and shorter through the yards and most the sidings.
I am planning on a intermodal yard small one planning on about 15ft long and about 2ft wide.
I already have the Blue Dimond Coal mine.
Looks like I'll be building a 36in bridge to cross my doorway, double track.
Trying for a blend of continuous running and operational running. Would like the mainline start at the yard go around the perimeter of the layout cross the bridge pass the yard this time on the 2nd track and then it goes into the industrial park on the peninsula then comes out and joins in with the main line from the first loop around.
And for the 2nd track over the bridge I'm planning on putti g the coal mine in the upper NW corner built up 3in. and a power plant along the NE corner but the track goes from the mine down around the back of the yard (turnout or two between the coal line and the yard lines)maybe let the the yard service a warehouse or 2 but they go on around over the bridge to the power plant maybe let the track keep going as part of a double track.
At the end of the peninsula I'm going to try a layered background with different buildings and scale (depending on what I find). Also planning on using little more than half of the peninsula for the industrial park using scene dividers at the start then let it get more City like towards the end.
Somti g that I really want to try and work in and I'm pretty sure you dont sed it in real life but i want to do an elevated track with a passenger station on the ground and the passenger platform elevated to track level, but I also want it to loop through the cityscape a little even if it means a reversing loop. That's all I can think of right now. Thank you all in advance.

two suggestions:
1st: If those are 16" wide aisles that is too small. I am not very rotund but 16" is cramped and I believe your elbows would be doing damage to your layout. The seat of my computer chair is 18".
2nd: Look up the Georgia Northeastern Railroad model, same benchwork configuration, around the walls with a middle peninsula. Just for some inspiration.

I like how you conceptualized the blending of continuous running and operations. I am struggling with fitting that concept now into my limited space. Sometimes you just want to sit back with a cup of something in your hand and watch trains run, even if it just in a long loop.

Ho scale
Oh yes most definitely freelance
Total size. 19x11
Because of limited space I plan on running mostly 50ft and shorter through the yards and most the sidings.
I am planning on a intermodal yard small one planning on about 15ft long and about 2ft wide.
intermodel cars will be 55' -85' in length (48' containers). and they'll tend to be top heavy , so I would keep curves as wide as possible.

two suggestions:
1st: If those are 16" wide aisles that is too small. I am not very rotund but 16" is cramped and I believe your elbows would be doing damage to your layout. The seat of my computer chair is 18".

2ft is about the minimum , If you were building for large multi op session (4 or 5 ops) ,you would want to go to 36 -48 aisle space , so two "oversize beer loads " can pass each other in aisle without turning around and

"dancing cheek to cheek "as they go by. You can neck down to 18 in a few places.

At any rate it looks a lot better , and is a more efficient space usage , than before. I think your headed in the right direction.

I know 16in is tight and I'm planning a run of plexiglass to protect the edges. 90% of the time I'll be in the shed myself. Knowing I dont have much room I plan on keeping my train lengths down 5ft or less. All the intermodal units will go from the intermodal yard to the exchange track bypassing the classification yard

Back