Trucks

nycentral57

What are the best trucks to purchase for Rolling Stock. I seem to have problems with the majority of trucks on my trains.
Thanks
Rob...

Why not just switch to metal wheel sets before changing out the trucks?

The metal wheel sets should provide a marked improvement in the rolling stock's ability to stay on track.

Iron Horseman is correct in that you would have to purchase trucks that would fit your rolling stock's bolsters...not a short cut to improved operation.

Thanks.

Greg

I'm with Greg. If you're in HO scale, changing out the wheels to metal wheels is the first thing that I would try. depending on who makes the freight equipment, one type of truck may not fit all. The first thing I do when putting new freight cars on the layout is to make sure that they have metal wheels.

G'day...Yep ..totally agree..try some wheelsets first...Not very expensive...Over time I've swapped out all my old plastic wheels for metal ones and can confirm it works fine..That said , just make sure you also get a honing tool for the hubs because not all wheelsets and trucks are exactly the same..The honing tool will ensure (mostly) that they will work fine..I bought 12 packs of Bachmann wheelsets and i think it was $15 for that pack each time..Another tip if I may..Coupler box location..I was told when I started to not buy the trucks mounted couplers , instead get the proper body mounted ones wherever possible..Lots of reasons but main reason for me is less things to wear out and go wrong...Cheers Rod..

Metal wheels are a very good buy and improve running reliability. My opinion is as long as the truck frame is true and straight and can pivot freely thats all you need. keep them a little on the louse side so that the car can negotiate less than perfect track.
I think that most derailments are caused from a car that can not properly articulate over the track it rides on.

If you're having constant derailments then you have problems with your track laying ability. The trucks made today are pretty consistent with the standards. I have had one or two plastic axles warped out of about 30 freight cars. How smooth is your trackwork? Are there large gaps between the rail joints? Are the rail joints doglegged? Are the railtops smooth across the joints? The only usual suspect dealing with the car is if it is really light weight. That can allow the car to be pulled sideways off the track rather than along the direction of the track.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Back