Troubleshooting rapido couplers on a ConCor passenger car set

Engauge18

Hello All!
New to the forum.
Am getting back into the hobby with my kids. Pulled out some trains i had from 25 years ago. The rapido couplers don't seem to couple anymore. Very frustrating. Was thinking of upgrading to micro trains but wasn't sure how to go about it. Back in the 90s, would go to my local hobby shop for advice but i guess it's all online now.
Any guidance is appreciated.
Thank you so much!
Jonathan
20220825_125807.jpg
20220825_125533.jpg

You can get MTL couplers to replace your Rapidos. But they're somewhat of a PITA to install on those type of trucks/coupler pockets.

Here's an option: Get complete MTL 6-wheel passenger trucks w/couplers to replace the trucks entirely on your cars. They will also roll far better than your existing trucks. May have to be careful that you buy trucks made to fit Con-Cor cars, however. Your truck pivot points are centered under the middle axle. MTL makes trucks to fit their passenger cars where the pivot point is offset between the axles, so you don't have to remove the center axle in order to attach the trucks. These type of trucks may not fit your cars properly. Do some research on the MTL website under their trucks and couplers to see what they all offer. Once you find out the information, you can always order from an on-line dealer.

Another option: Get some Red Caboose (or whoever makes them know) dummy knuckle couplers to replace the Rapidos. They're not such a PITA to install like the MTL couplers are. Although they're non-operating, they do a very good job of staying coupled.

And yet another option: MTL makes heavy-weight passenger cars. I'm sure they've done them in Pennsy, amongst others. Find a set of them and sell your Con-Cor cars off.

Could be other options yet, but this is all I can think of right at the minute. :)👍

Back