Trasnporting your "babies"...how?

Alcomotive

Grandson of an ALCO Builder
Alright anyone just jump in here...if there is a topic or thread on this let me know because I was not able to find it.....

I have seen some really cool picture that were taken at a SERIOUS MODELING show that had the most incredibly talented work that I have ever seen at in show...

here are some examples....(I must warn you these guys are serious modelers)

Dave Hussey: http://www.pbase.com/dh30973/wpm2007&page=all

Harry Wong: http://www.pbase.com/tracktime/wpm2007&page=all

Paul Ellis: http://www.pbase.com/sp_8299/wpm_2007&page=all

Robbie Forsstrom: http://www.pbase.com/mrmrl/wpm2007&page=all

My QUERY:

How do all of you guys and gals carry or transport your locos and or rolling stock from home to a club layout or show or another layout for operating sessions?????

What products do you use? if it manufacture by a company please list name and possible website.

Or do you have a custom box of some sort that you or a friend made to carry your precious babies....

My thought is that if you have highly detailed equipment what is the best way to transport or at least sustain minimal dammage for going from point A to B. I am not talking about mailing through UPS, Snail mail or anything like that.

I would like to see

A. pictures of your "box" or carrying device

B. Manufacturer info

C. website address

D. your design or fashionable box (or your friend's with permission ofcourse)

E. or ideas and suggestions

Thanks!

I'm not very sophisticated about this but it seems to work. Just get some Rubbermaid tubs with lids, a roll of bubble wrap, and some Velcro. I first use spray adhesive to line the interior with bubble wrap. Then take each engine or car, cut the bubble wrap to size, and use the Velcro to make a closure. Label each of these with engine or car type and number. Use some shipping boxes for cardboard to make dividers. I then put in one row that's wrapped, a piece of cardboard, and start on the next row. I can get three levels of equipment in a typical Rubbermaid tub. There are a lot of really nice (and really expensive) transport cases you can buy but this has worked for me over the past 40 years or so. YMMV.

I thought WPM meets were my best kept secret. Been looking at their stuff for years.
On a serious not , I know they sell carrying cases that are foam lined. Don't have manufacturer data handy.

Myself and a few members of our HO scale modular club have been using plastic tool boxes to carry our models to shows and contests. They come in various sizes and aren't very expensive. They have removable trays on which models can be placed.

I don't have anything fixed in them to protect the models, as I never carry the same thing. So I line the outer sides of the box and tray with pieces of foam (like used to come in Athearn Blue Box diesel boxes), then thin strips of foam between models so they don't rub together. Lastly a larger slab of foam goes on top of the models, both in the box and in the tray to prevent them from bouncing around.

This has been used for twenty years or so. Some small parts to get knocked off, but the ease of use and transportability outweighs any problems. Often the tool boxes are carried in the rental vans we use to take the modules around, and the ride in them is fairly rough due to there not being very much weight in them.

I pack structure contest models in their own boxes, made to fit using larger boxes that I cut down and fold to fit, using hot melt glue to keep together.

Hummm, mine come pre-installed at birth, with 10 little grippers. All kidding aside, I usually stick to the original boxes, and I have two larger boxes I got in a lot off of craigslist.

If you want an expensive way: Train Safe.
The much less expensive way: wrap your engine in soft paper and a box. Or build something like this train safe boxes.

Wolfgang

I thought WPM meets were my best kept secret. Been looking at their stuff for years.
On a serious not , I know they sell carrying cases that are foam lined. Don't have manufacturer data handy.

sorry man...I rank these guys in my top 5....I belong to an elite group that i am very proud of and these guys are also apart of. Some people may call these guys rivet counters but really there is a lot to be learned from these people because their heart and soul are into it. Anyways I hope you all enjoy looking at the pics. Josh I hope you had a chance to look at the pics. I am sure it was right up your alley of work....

So far interesting suggestions and techniques on transporting your fleet...

I do have a version like this http://ppw-aline.com/HobbyTote.htm .....note that in one picture that they use that white tissue paper for wrapping...I do this as well because for 2 reasons ...1: is that it reduces snags on the small details like lift rings etc.....2: it also reduces any kind of chemical reaction to the paints and or reduces rub wear on the paint and decals.

Although not fool proof but I wanted to get a consensus of what everyone else uses or does...

Thanks for participating and I hope more will respond....

Brainstorming is accepted too..... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Josh I hope you had a chance to look at the pics. I am sure it was right up your alley of work....
Yes Sir. I missed the show, not a good time for me, picking between looking at very detailed trains, or buying more, buying usually wins out. Worst part, I got an email saying "I thought you were coming, I was hoping to see your work". Talk about feeling really left out now!

Oh well, there's always next year, though the date makes me think it'll be either the trade show, or air show again. Wish it was later in the month.

In the past I have found a box about the right height and added foam dividers. On the latest projects I have a method I saw Gordon Cannon using (one of the guys that started the RPM thing with Cannon and Co) and that is to drill and tap a 6-32 screw hole into the bottom of the fuel tanks. Then the loco can be screwed to a base for display or transported and packed without being touched. I haven't actually tried transporting them this way but several locos have holes for doing so. Obviously, you don't want the screw too tight or too long but I think it will work especially in this day of plastick handrails which fall off if you look at them wrong and are perpetually crooked. That is one thing I noticed looking throught the WPM photos this week, lots of beautiful locos with bent and crooked handrails.

In the past I have found a box about the right height and added foam dividers. On the latest projects I have a method I saw Gordon Cannon using (one of the guys that started the RPM thing with Cannon and Co) and that is to drill and tap a 6-32 screw hole into the bottom of the fuel tanks. Then the loco can be screwed to a base for display or transported and packed without being touched. I haven't actually tried transporting them this way but several locos have holes for doing so. Obviously, you don't want the screw too tight or too long but I think it will work especially in this day of plastick handrails which fall off if you look at them wrong and are perpetually crooked. That is one thing I noticed looking throught the WPM photos this week, lots of beautiful locos with bent and crooked handrails.

I noticed some of the locos that way this is what really prompt me to pose my query on transporting our locos and rolling stock.....

I like the way Atlas does their packaging, with the foam inserts between the body and handrails. I save all of those and also buy closed foam sheets at Wallyworld. I stick them between the the handrails and body before I wrap them. It keeps the handrails from getting bent, assuming they were ever staight to begin with. :)

This the way I think I am going now. I have a few like this but not by this manufacture and the major difference is the ones I have...the rolling stock and locos lay on their sides which I do not like. I bought them back in the early 90's. Any ways I will be switching to this method...

http://www.ppw-aline.com/HobbyTote.htm

I've tried all sorts of transportation methods. All of them seem to be hard on equipment. I've taken to distributing my equipment onto the layouts where I operate. That way I just have to show up, my equipment is already there. Plus my friends get to enjoy it too.

I hate the way BLI and Proto-2000 steam locomotives wire to their tenders. The coupling is obviously not made to be constantly taken apart and put back together.

This the way I think I am going now. I have a few like this but not by this manufacture and the major difference is the ones I have...the rolling stock and locos lay on their sides which I do not like. I bought them back in the early 90's. Any ways I will be switching to this method...

http://www.ppw-aline.com/HobbyTote.htm

If you go with the A-Line totes be sure to get some foam pieces to put between the handrails and hood, on engines. The cardboard separators between rows tend to move during transportation and your handrails will be up against the long hood if the trip takes up an extended amount of time. I've also had sundshades and wind deflectors come off a couple of units during transportation. Otherwise the A-Line totes are great! Another alternative would be these, http://trainboxesplus.com/index.html, which are quite nice as well. I recommend both over any others, including the Train Safe.

Back