TrainController Block and Crossing Question

gjohnston

Slow Learner
This question has to do with the software TrainController.

I was watching some videos on TrainController and the presenter mentioned that one of the occupancy block rules is that turnouts and crossings should never be part of an occupancy block.

Since I have a 30 degree crossing in my layout should I isolate that crossing with insulated rail joiners so that it does not become part of any occupancy block? Or does TrainController "know" about the crossing and keep trains from crashing into each other on its own?

I am getting ready to lay track on that part of my layout and don't want to have to tear it up to add insulated rail joiners and more occupancy detectors later.

Thanks,
Greg

Here is the address to the TC forum.

As far as I know the crossing should not be in a block.

The is a post on the TC forum about turnouts.

You should read it.

Hi,

Turnouts and crossing are rarely part of a TC Block.

TC "knows" about them and will prevent problems assuming you have entered in length information for trains/train sets.

On my layout I went one step further and added dedicated occupancy sensors for all turnouts, turnouts groups and crossings.

I am using RR-CirKits WatchMan devices and with this hardware it costs appx $7 per sensor.

Frederick

Hi,

Turnouts and crossing are rarely part of a TC Block.

TC "knows" about them and will prevent problems assuming you have entered in length information for trains/train sets.

On my layout I went one step further and added dedicated occupancy sensors for all turnouts, turnouts groups and crossings.

I am using RR-CirKits WatchMan devices and with this hardware it costs appx $7 per sensor.

Frederick

Frederick,

That is exactly the information I was looking for. I won't worry about putting in any extra insulated rail joiners with regard to the diamond crossing. I am powering each turnout with drop lines to the main bus as well as powering the frogs. If I want to add detection occupancy sensors to the turnouts later, it will not be difficult.

Thanks,

Greg

Hi Greg,

You want to power the crossing in such a way that when it is "occupied" it does not cause any of the adjacent blocks to appear as occupied.

Frederick

Hi Greg,

You want to power the crossing in such a way that when it is "occupied" it does not cause any of the adjacent blocks to appear as occupied.

Frederick

Hi Frederick,

It is an inso-frog diamond crossing. So I will put insulated rail joiners on all four of the non common rails on the crossing and attach two power droppers to power those two rails. This will isolate the crossing from the adjacent blocks.

Thanks so much for your help.

Greg

Back