Train show preperation

Come on down new guy! Temps in the mid-60's all week except this Saturday. Plus you can drive all day (and night) and still be in our beautiful state. The next show by these guys is in mid-January...they have a website. Don't know about the weather in January.
http://www.dfwtrainshows.com/
Willie

NG,

SNIP

My honest advice would be this: go to the show, leave your wallet (or the better part of it) at home and use your first show to get the feel of what they are really about. Better still, avoid small or regional "shows" and save your money to go to one of the BIG shows such as the one in Mass (I think) in January (again I think) next year. Can't recall the name of it but it is a National Show and is (apparently) a real show, not a yard sale.

The Amherst Model Railroad Show in Springfield MA. Excellent show. THE one to go to in New England. I'll be there.

There is a difference between "Train Shows" and "Swap Meets" Train Shows have retailers, layouts, maybe some manufacturers and guys selling estates, their unwanted stuff, and so forth. "Swap Meets" may have a layout or two, little or no manufacturer presence, maybe a retailer ot two turning over inventory that's being blown out because it's been in the shop too long. The majority of vendors are guys doing the "from my basement to yours" thing. With these its always "buyer beware" Used equipment generally sells for 30-50 cents on the dollar with only the nicest stuff bringing 50 cents. Great places to pick up odds & ends, or junk freight cars to kit bash or practice weathering & airbrushing. You never know what you'll find, which is what makes them fun. There will be those where you find nothing.

Manufacturers seldom go to regional shows unless they are local, and never to swap meets. It's just too expensive. Travel expenses, salaries for employees, booth/table space all add up, and marketing budgets have their limits. It's getting more and more expensive to go to these. I just finished Trainfest in Milwaukee. A single booth there is roughly a $1,000.00 investment, then folks want deep discounts. Heck of a way to make a living! That's why you are seeing less discounts.

Figured that much. You might have to give in and start buying on cough...cough... ebay. Horror stories you hear? I've been on ebay buying and selling computer parts, trains, all kinds of stuff for 12 years now and never ever had a problem. I don't even see the "horror story" posts you are referring to on this site?

Today I received my latest ebay purchase, about 300 feet of used Kato unitrack for $100. Came from an estate. . The owner painted the bed and added ballast. It was offered in several lots and, because I bought t hem all, the seller threw in some unlisted leftovers. These included two double crossovers, which effectively means that everything else cost nothing. The extras also included many feeder tracks with the plugs cut off; shouldn't be too hard to handle.

So, ebay? Love it!

Oh crap!

The Amherst Model Railroad Show in Springfield MA. Excellent show. THE one to go to in New England. I'll be there.

There is a difference between "Train Shows" and "Swap Meets" Train Shows have retailers, layouts, maybe some manufacturers and guys selling estates, their unwanted stuff, and so forth. "Swap Meets" may have a layout or two, little or no manufacturer presence, maybe a retailer ot two turning over inventory that's being blown out because it's been in the shop too long. The majority of vendors are guys doing the "from my basement to yours" thing. With these its always "buyer beware" Used equipment generally sells for 30-50 cents on the dollar with only the nicest stuff bringing 50 cents. Great places to pick up odds & ends, or junk freight cars to kit bash or practice weathering & airbrushing. You never know what you'll find, which is what makes them fun. There will be those where you find nothing.

Manufacturers seldom go to regional shows unless they are local, and never to swap meets. It's just too expensive. Travel expenses, salaries for employees, booth/table space all add up, and marketing budgets have their limits. It's getting more and more expensive to go to these. I just finished Trainfest in Milwaukee. A single booth there is roughly a $1,000.00 investment, then folks want deep discounts. Heck of a way to make a living! That's why you are seeing less discounts.

Alan,

That is the one I was thinking of, yes and one I WOULD like to go to as well.

A "Train Show" should be as you have described, and most likely is; the problem I see is places/groups call their "Swap Meets/Yard Sales" Train Shows instead of what they really are. Most probably if those places/groups called their swap meets swap meets, fewer people would attend.

A "Show" to me is as you have described it, layouts that create interest in the hobby as well as insight for those who maybe thinking about getting into the hobby; retailers offering "new items" for sale at reduced prices and manufacturers displaying "concept ideas", their specific products for sale at reduced prices and to answer questions about their products. That, to me, is the fundamental purpose of a real "Show".

Back