Train carrying cases?

DakotaLove39

Always Improvising
Hey guys. I cannot (as yet) build any sort of permanent layout in my home, so I have been looking at possibly joining a local club. I don't have a lot of stuff to carry around, but after being a Warhammer player and having foam-padded suitcase-style carry cases for those models, I had to start wondering if such a thing existed for model trains. I would think such a thing would make transporting trains much easier.

Hey guys. I cannot (as yet) build any sort of permanent layout in my home, so I have been looking at possibly joining a local club. I don't have a lot of stuff to carry around, but after being a Warhammer player and having foam-padded suitcase-style carry cases for those models, I had to start wondering if such a thing existed for model trains. I would think such a thing would make transporting trains much easier.

The cases made for carrying cameras work very well.

I don't know what you have in the US, but they are certainly available here in Aus similar to what you describe. Searched Walthers and Model RR stuff but none shown.

The objective of a carry case is to transport your trains and have easy access to them for setting up or repacking. A case that holds the i dividual trains so that the case can be transported in any position, i.e. on end, upside down, or on edge would require that the indivdual pieces be held in a compression mode which breaks off hand rails, sun shades and other details. Boxing each item separetly takes time and gets boring plus the mess of dealing with the packing meterial while visiting a layout.
A tray type box that can hold trains in a flat condition is kind of the medium for easy but careful transport. The trains are easily accessable but have to be transported with care. The tray should not be used for mailing or shipping trains.

I just use plastic containers everytime I take my trains to the model club and they are protected with thin pieces of foam which I can wrap around the engines etc.

Something to think about that most people don't is with the foam lined boxes/cases detail parts can stick to the foam and get pulled off the models. That and the bodies of some models like boxcars can stick to the foam and some of the foam comes off stuck to the body; have had that happen on boxcars in HO. My N scale stuff gets stored back in the little plastic boxes they came in - no foam but paper towels for padding if needed.

Something to think about that most people don't is with the foam lined boxes/cases detail parts can stick to the foam and get pulled off the models. That and the bodies of some models like boxcars can stick to the foam and some of the foam comes off stuck to the body; have had that happen on boxcars in HO. My N scale stuff gets stored back in the little plastic boxes they came in - no foam but paper towels for padding if needed.

Its not the same foam you thinking of its different :D

Its not the same foam you thinking of its different :D
What are you talking about? I'm talking about the type of foam that's in the cardboard boxes meant for carrying HO trains - I've had that stuff stick to some of my rolling stock. Makes the cars look like hell. The ones I have came from an outfit in Arizona years back that advertised in the model RR mags.

What are you talking about? I'm talking about the type of foam that's in the cardboard boxes meant for carrying HO trains - I've had that stuff stick to some of my rolling stock. Makes the cars look like hell. The ones I have came from an outfit in Arizona years back that advertised in the model RR mags.

You obviously never read the whole thread or you would understand

You obviously never read the whole thread or you would understand
I have read the whole thread. If you had said exactly which box you were referring to then that would have been better but you didn't. I was referring specifically to the Axian products of which I have 10 from quite a few years ago and the foam they used causes the problem I'm talking about. Maybe they've changed their foam maybe not.

I have been told to use closed cell foam and not the usual open cell type. Have seen some club members using a soft plastic film called "go between" (may be a local brand name), as a barrier, very much like the film that Athearn's Genesis uses between their locos and the hard plastic in the packets.

Hi Guys
After trying sodi can flats with dividers & all types of boxes I now use Aline boxes. They are not cheap but your trains are protected. All dome cars,Hi cube cars & all diesels with detailing on roof have to be in a tall box.
Heres the link

Tim

I have been told to use closed cell foam and not the usual open cell type. Have seen some club members using a soft plastic film called "go between" (may be a local brand name), as a barrier, very much like the film that Athearn's Genesis uses between their locos and the hard plastic in the packets.
Haven't purchased a Genesis in years when they came out with the hO Light Mikes; the ones I have have foam inserts for inside the cardboard boxes.
Hi Guys
After trying soda can flats with dividers & all types of boxes I now use Aline boxes. They are not cheap but your trains are protected. All dome cars,Hi cube cars & all diesels with detailing on roof have to be in a tall box.
Heres the link

http://www.ppw-aline.com/hobbytote.htm

Tim
Looks like these take a different tack and store the rolling stock and engines upright instead of on their sides which will help in not having the side details and paint job ruined. Question: how difficult is it to get stuff out from between what looks like tight fitting sides?

Haven't purchased a Genesis in years when they came out with the hO Light Mikes; the ones I have have foam inserts for inside the cardboard boxes.

Looks like these take a different tack and store the rolling stock and engines upright instead of on their sides which will help in not having the side details and paint job ruined. Question: how difficult is it to get stuff out from between what looks like tight fitting sides?
I bought a roll of craft paper, cut it. and put it into the foam slots. That keeps the foam from catching on things like handrails.

thin_foam_sheet_instant_foam_packing_dense.jpg

What I used with no problems noticed

Back