Tracking Heritage Units

Burlington Bob

Coming home from Rock Falls Saturday morning I saw one of the NS Heritage units. It was the Virginian unit being used as a DPU on the rear of an oil train with two NS units on the head end. It was on the Adair siding headed towards Beardstown from Galesburg, IL on the BNSF. About a month ago, I was going to work and saw the Reading unit between two BNSF units headed towards Galesburg at St. Augustine. These locos are BEAUTIFUL! Sure wish that BNSF would do something similar.I was driving and didn't have a camera to get a picture (a fact that I hate) on both occasions. I think it would be interesting to report sightings of any of the NS Heritage units just to see where they roam across the country. A big plus would be photos but not a necessity. Anyone interested?

Hey Bob,

Thank you for this thread, I would love to see that Virginian locomotive!

Hey Doctor,

Thank you for the link.

I saw a post on the OGR forum asking what the members thought were the chances of CSX doing a heritage unit. I read most of the replies and I did not see one that was based in any kind of logic.

I know you keep up with the real industry as well as the models. What do you think the chances are CSX will do a heritage unit?

I am very happy with my Lionel AC6000 CSX/B&O heritage fantasy locomotive. but it would be very cool to see a real one!

Thanks, Carey, for that thread. I didn't know about it but I've bookmarked it for future reference. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to get some pictures and I'll post them if I do.

I am with Bob, that link is great, I spent more then an hour looking at pictures. I wish they would run some of those eastern fallen flags through Baltimore for me to see up close. I love that Penn Central!

Thank you again Bob for starting this thread!

Thank you Doctor, that seemed to be the consensus opinion on the OGR forum as well. I don't know any of those people well enough to trust their opinions yet and nobody said why that thought that. I trust and appreciate your opinion even though it is disappointing. That is such a shame to be a decedent of the oldest common carrier railroad in America and not to honor and embrace it.

Yeah, I have to agree Louis. Not to honor the railroads that eventually made up the CSX to me is a great oversight. Imagine an SD70mas in the grey and yellow "pine tree" scheme of the L&N. The "citrus" scheme, (Orange Blossom Special), of the SAL. ACL's purple and silver. Very disappointing. Now that's not to say that we couldn't do scheme's like that in HO, O, or even N. All you'd need is an airbrush and decals.

I am just glad Lionel decided to come up with their own CSX heritage units because my artistic talents are severely lacking or maybe I should say I am artistically challenged or what ever the politically correct phrase would be. Truth is my artistic talent stinks!
6-38404.jpg

Back