Track sizes

Mingo Assist

re·sus·ci·tat·ing the EL
Years ago the railroad started using section rail with what was known as 90 pound rail.. over the years it went to 100, then 110 then 132 and now theres even a 140 dudley with most of what we call ribbon rail.
Now this rail does change size by comparison destinctly.
Im curious how you all show the change { taken in consideration you have a variety of era's on your layout} of rail size.. I do HO scale so im trying several differant ways but most all rail for HO is the same.

I mix and match Code 83 turnouts with Code 100 rail by shimming when I don't make my own Code 100 turnouts. I can see that Code 100 looks overized in photos, but it doesn't seem that way when I am running my trains. Because it is so cheap, plentiful, easily adapted and used, I just stick with Code 100. Part of this is for ease of use with respect to flanges, but part of it is because I don't really "model" per se. I feelance. If I were to model pre 1920, say, I would definitely elect to use a more appropriate size. The idea of transitions, from code to code, would only make sense for me if I had a large layout on which I could have several eras segregated.

Back