track layout possibilities

mowman24

As I mentioned earlier, I need to keep my layout narrow so can reach across. Do you think my idea of running an outside track just an inch inside my 36 inch board will leave me room to put a 27 inch circle inside of it?? Or am I going to have to go an inch or 2 wider?

Assuming you're talking about using O27 track, and making one oval inside another one. It can be done, but only an inch or two wider would still offer no safety margin for trains falling off the edge of the table. I'd recommend making the table at least 6" wider. But then, it becomes virtually unreachable across it.

If you could post some sort of track plan of what you would like to do, it would be more helpful for offering suggestions.

I was hoping with an inch outside the outer track I could put up a guard rail to keep a derailment on the table, Possible???

While trains will clear a really close guard rail while on straight track, anything coming from, or going into, curved trackage may bang into into a guardrail due to the car overhang. You might want to set up some track on a table and do some observation with measurements to see if it would work or not. Short cars and short locos may or may not be a problem, but longer cars and longer locos most likely will be.
I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time :eek:) , maybe an extra inch would be enough clearance. But better safe than sorry.

While trains will clear a really close guard rail while on straight track, anything coming from, or going into, curved trackage may bang into into a guardrail due to the car overhang. You might want to set up some track on a table and do some observation with measurements to see if it would work or not. Short cars and short locos may or may not be a problem, but longer cars and longer locos most likely will be.
I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time :eek:) , maybe an extra inch would be enough clearance. But better safe than sorry.
I am gonna try what you said before cutting the top. And if a problem. try some not by the book track laying. I have been known to jury rig some stuff and make it work LOL.
Also, don't know what to make a guard rail out of? Possibly hardboard?

I am gonna try what you said before cutting the top. And if a problem. try some not by the book track laying. I have been known to jury rig some stuff and make it work LOL.
Also, don't know what to make a guard rail out of? Possibly hardboard?
Most use plexiglass. Or acrylic. On my postwar o scale layout, I have he fascia board about inch and a half higher. The ho layout is plexiglass.

Back