Track: Atlas vs Peco vs something else??

Choice of track & turnouts?

• Atlas 80

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • Peco 80

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Micro Engineering

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • Kato Unitrac

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • Atlas 55

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • Peco 55

Votes: 10 16.1%

• Total voters
In a "N scale" forum?? :confused:

I don't do "N" scale but I pay attention to lots of model train issues and want to be informed. When I go to train shows, I don't ignore "N" scale or any other scale. I use Unitrack at home for my "HO" stuff and I wish Kato had as many "HO" pieces as they do "N" pieces. So you shouldn't be confused.

Honestly what track you prefer to use is like, what brand Car you prefer to drive. It's based off what options U yourself look for when buying track! I Have used all other brands of track in N scale from Atlas c80 to ME c55. I'm very experienced track layer, so installing c55 ain't the primary factor for my choice/switching in using Kato. For me: Kato make's Gandy Dancing a No Brainer! Changing, rearranging, and Recycling the track is 100%'s easier. Also the speed at which U can have trains up and running is a plus too for me. There a lot more Plus's but you get the point.....For ME it's Kato!:D For some it will be Atlas c55 or c80, or ME c55, or some it will be Peco c55/c80, or some Kato Unitrack, and or a Mix of brands......

It's what works best for you and your Needs!;):)

Waht Code is the Kato track that people are referring to? I'm a newb and have to ask. I think I am 90% decided on N scale next and I am curious about track. I'm interested in functionality only, not realistic looking track and if kato is the way to go I'll go with it.

Functioanlity to me is defiend by 2 things:
1) 100% rolling stock compatable.
Will all rolling stock work on the Kato? I often read that C55 track (even in this thread) has issues with some rolling stock.

2) derailment
If an track is better in terms of keeping everything on track, I want to know. My son will be using this also (6.5 years) and I don't want him frustrated, or myself for that matter.

KATO N scale UNITRACK is code 80 and is compatible with all rolling stock. KATO track is high quality that offers excellent electrical connections and few, if any derailments.

Best regards,
Brian

What are the costs of these other tracks? How much is 100 feet of kato versus say Atlas code 80 and Peco code 80?

What about the cost of switches?

Kato is only up to 9-3/4" in length? If they ofered 3' sections I'd be more likely to buy it.

I like the idea of flex track and being able to do some interesting long sweeping and windy curves. Is there a "best" option in flex track?

Also, is there a best brand for switches?

I have decided to go with Peco 55 flex track and switches, but I haven't decided on which 'motors' to use. I like the fact the rail is slightly buried in the ties themselves making the attachment stronger over the Atlas method of just relying on those plastic 'spikes' to hold it in place. Granted I never had any issue 15 years ago, but it is still unnerving never the less.

I'm really surprised with the number of Kato users as I can't see the attraction especially for larger layouts. Something 3x6' or less I might see, but larger or longer just doesn't make a lot of sense. I have and possibly will use some of the straight Kato bridge sections as I used their curved sections before. They do have a nice selection of bridge trusses I will admit.

Atlas switch motor

I'm considering this motor if it will work with Peco switches. Or possible the Rix. The Tortoise seem to be too expensive.
Model 2065

Last edited by a moderator:
U R Correct

They apparently have two versions. The pic I attached is this (2065);
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBCC9&P=FR
You're correct. Their under the table switch machine is simply an upgraded snap relay. Notice how puny the shaft of the actuator rod is! I have never seen one in use(have never looked at one out of the box, because of high price - $21.95 MSRP)

All the online vendors advertise them as "code 55 ... switch machines" Are they rugged enough for application with others' switches? It's ability to power the frog makes it attractive. But if you use it with PECO switches, I'd think you'd have to remove the over-center springs.

Seems strange that ATLAS doesn't include them on either their Electrical components & wiring or HO & N switch controls pages:
https://secure.atlasrr.com/mod1/items.asp?Cc=HN862&iTpStatus=0&Tp=&Bc=

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm starting a rather large layout (38' by 18' plus a 8' by 18' leg). I've used Atlas code 80 and 55 as well as Peco code 80 and 55 on previous layouts and NTRAK modules. Here is my rational for the new layout.
I really like the Peco turnouts and the Code 55 looks a bit better than the C80. The Peco turnouts are robust. This layout is intended to be used for operations. There is only one other N Scaler in the area, but many HO modelers with operations oriented layouts. One was featured in MR this summer. I expect the HO operators to be a bit rough (ham fisted) and the Peco turnouts should stand up to their abuse. So I am using the Peco C55 turnouts and flex in the towns. I plan on some fairly long runs between the towns and I'll use Atlas C55 flex for that. (a local hobby shop went belly up and I got a great deal on a couple of boxes of Atlas c55 flex. Besides, it looks great). In staging I'll use the code 80 that I've got from previous layouts.
Mainline= 158 feet
3 branchlines= 129 feet
10 staging tracks,each holding 3-30 car trains

Pretty intensive plans. I'm still building the room. :eek:

I'm not sure about the switch motors. It is looking to be between the newer Atlas and the Rix.

Newer intermountain EMD FT locos on atlas code 55

I am getting ready to buy some (N scale) new or newer intermountain EMD FT A+B unit locomotives. I may also eventually get some microtrains same EMD FT locos. From the reviews it appears they will both work with atlas code 55. Does anyone know these locomotives and can verify this?

Also, would kato unitrack cost much more than atlas code 55? I realize they are two totally different styles of track. I am impressed with the numbers of kato track voters in the poll as well as their comments on here. I also like the accurate looking atlas code 55. :)

Im using peco code 80 flex track with peco electrofrog turnouts
Im not using any secondhand gear either. I guess it depends on whats available
For your budget and how important the look of the track is to you.

Budget really doesn't come into play here for the most part. I don't see a huge difference between manufactures.
I know Atlas 55 is the best looking, but the problem with flange height rules that out (for me).
I'm going with Peco 55. I like the idea that the rail is embedded into the ties unlike Atlas where those tiny little plastic spikes is all that holds the rail in place. It wasn't a problem for me with my 1st real layout, but that was small in a temp. controlled (for the most part) room. This is in a unheated basement so that extra holding feature should help if there is any chance of expansion or contraction.

A Tip for saving using Peco turnouts

If you use Peco's own under board turnout motors you need three parts to take care of the frog polarisation as well.

With Seep PM1, http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=GMC-PM1&r=1

You get it all in one smaller package, saving both money and wiring work.

If you need to place a switch on top of where track runs underneath this solution also needs much less space, preserving clearance below.

Back