To strip or not to strip??

Scordicus

I have an HO Kato shell in Santa Fe livery which I intend to paint black for the home road.. The question is, should I try stripping the shell first given the problems that Kato shells can be to strip, or should I just wash it well & paint over the top of the factory paint??

it's been my experience that the lettering and numbers will be visible under the new paint. I have heard people have had success stripping Kato shells by soaking them in Pine-Sol.

Yes I'd read about the Pine Sol, but I really am wondering if it's worth the hassle of stripping it seeing as the factory paint coat is so thin & I'd have to put a coat of primer on anyway which would probably take to about the same thickness before the top coat..

Bleeding I doubt would be a problem as the home road colour scheme is black..

I'm a couple of weeks away from painting yet either way if anybody else would like to chip in with their thoughts/experiences...

Yes I'd read about the Pine Sol, but I really am wondering if it's worth the hassle of stripping it seeing as the factory paint coat is so thin & I'd have to put a coat of primer on anyway which would probably take to about the same thickness before the top coat..

Bleeding I doubt would be a problem as the home road colour scheme is black..

I'm a couple of weeks away from painting yet either way if anybody else would like to chip in with their thoughts/experiences...

I wasn't talking about bleeding, it won't do that, but you'll be able to see the original lettering numbers, and possibly stripes and so forth in relief. There are minute differences in profile that will show through any color. I found this out the hard way painting over factory painted refrigerator cars. I could see road names, heralds, and so forth under the new paint. If you want to portray a patched model this might be OK, but if you want to portray a new loco in your home road, it might not. That's up to you.

STRIP IT!

Like espee says, the relief of the lettering can show through the paint, particularly if you spary thin coats (as you should).

I've used Kresto Painters hand cleaner, 91% rubbing alcohol, Easy Off Oven cleaner (original formula), and even brake fluid to strip paint. Kresto and Easy Off should take the lettering right off.

Rotor

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank You...

I wasn't talking about bleeding, it won't do that, but you'll be able to see the original lettering numbers, and possibly stripes and so forth in relief. There are minute differences in profile that will show through any color. I found this out the hard way painting over factory painted refrigerator cars. I could see road names, heralds, and so forth under the new paint. If you want to portray a patched model this might be OK, but if you want to portray a new loco in your home road, it might not. That's up to you.

I'm glad you clarified that and in doing so have made my mind up for me.. The railroad I'm portraying does indeed use patched UP,BN & Santa Fe motive power, so I think that's the route I shall go.. Having the original paintwork showing through in a raised form would be very prototypical! As they are just painted over by the looks of it, those that are painted in the home colours anyway lol...

STRIP IT!

Liek espee says, the relief of the lettering can show through the paint, particularly if you spary thin coats (as you should).

I've used Kresto Painters hand cleaner, 91% rubbing alcohol, Easy Off Oven cleaner (original formula), and even brake fluid to strip paint. Kresto and Easy Off should take the lettering right off.

Rotor

Rotor, you can't use brake fluid or Easy Off on Kato shells apparently, brake fluid doesn't work at all (something to do with the paint composition?) & Easy Off makes the shell very brittle & liable to cracking from what I've read...

Rotor, you can't use brake fluid or Easy Off on Kato shells apparently, brake fluid doesn't work at all (something to do with the paint composition?) & Easy Off makes the shell very brittle & liable to cracking from what I've read...

I'd heard that too...but haven't tried it. I think I read the 91% rubbing alcohol was used succesfully on Kato's by some of the painter guys. I was just throwing some of the things I've used for stripping paint.

Rotor

It's actually quite hard to get hold of rubbing alcohol over here, you can get it at the odd chemist/pharmacy, but it has to be a special order now, I had real trouble getting some last year to use in an ink wash, apparently they changed the law on it's sale a year or so ago, I have no idea why & strangely enough neither have the pharmacist's lol...

Depends..Some times I don't strip a engine before I paint it because my short line bought a use engine and painted over the former paint scheme.

I have successfully painted over factory paint without the relief of the lettering showing through.

Back