To double deck or not to double deck? That is the question.

Caagui01

Christian
Hey guys, my name’s Christian and I’m new to the whole model railroad gig and I want to get started with my first layout in my garage.
I’ve worked for NS here in my town as a conductor for a while and while I enjoyed the job the lifestyle was so bad. We were constantly being called right off of our rest at 10 hours and working 12’s everyday. It took a toll on me, my family, and my relationship. My terminal in particular has been seemingly unable to dig itself out of a hole and guys have been bailing with 10-20 years seniority. Multiple higher ups have come and gone and we’ve had multiple superintendents in the 6 short months I’ve worked there. I found an opportunity that would offer me similar financial compensation I had at the railroad while still being able to fully maintain my life. So I took it. I often reminisce about the railroad because it was a truly unique experience, but it wasn’t the right lifestyle for me.

Anywho, I feel like getting into model railroading would satisfy my interests. I don’t really have a hobby so finding something to occupy my time and that I enjoy would be ideal. The area I’m working with is 19’x10’. I think I’ve decided to go with N scale just so I can fit more of what I want into the space I have and have modern loco’s and rolling stock. I’m having trouble with the bench work and if a 2 deck layout would practical. I don’t want it to just look pretty but I’d like to run some operations on it as well. I know that I want something more point to point and not a loop. Here’s a rough idea I came up with.
D1629C04-9218-4025-A2E6-7206A7CACE0F.jpeg

Like I said I’m really fond of running point to point for trying to be more prototypical. I want to make the most out of my space and would like to double deck the layout and have a helix coming down where the orange circle is to come back on the bottom deck and have a yard at the end of that line as well. But I’m unsure the practicality of having a double decked layout and trying to run operations. Especially in N scale it would make it difficult to be able to read car numbers properly. Incorporating JMRI into my layout and generating switch lists is something that I really would like to do. I want to have locals while also having road trains. Hence why I would like a yard to yard setup with industries in between. However, it might be better suited to opt for a reversing loop instead of a helix and just operate back into the same yard as far as road trains go. As much as I would love a double decked layout to have more trackage, I think a reversing loop would be more practical for the space that I have. This isn’t a permanent layout however as I’m just renting my home and trying to wait until a hopefully better opportunity to purchase a home whenever the market settles. So I’m trying to keep that in mind as well that I don’t necessarily need to go all out.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I’d like to know what more experienced modelers would recommend.

Thanks, Christian

Last edited:
Christian - First of all, welcome to our forum. We tend to be a friendly bunch here. Secondly, 10' x 19' is quite a good bit of space for N scale so you should be able to get a lot of industries to switch into that area. Since you are renting, I personally wouldn't go for a second level right now. You might be moving before you even get the first level fully scenicked. It can always be added later. If you decide to follow Iron Horseman's rough sketch, you could still have a reverse loop below the helix which would give more versatility.
Do keep us up to date with pictures if you are able.

Yes welcome Christian, my first suggestion might also be to build your benchwork in 2x4 modules which will make it easier for your future move. I am not a great track planner and one level is enough for me.

Welcome Christian from across the pond.
Sounds like you have a good idea as to what you want from your new hobby, but I agree with Gary, to build it in a modular design as you are renting, easier to transport when you decide to move, without having to rip out all your hard work. I would suggest one tier with a reverse loop for now, and build it in such a way it will allow for your expansion at a later date without having to make major modifications.

MilwRoader_Steve another member here, had a plan you might find interesting, although this is an L shaped layout the main plan gives you lots for you to do, and if your using N scale, could be easily modified to suit your needs. (Thanks to BigGRacing for the link)

How about both? Go up helix to 2nd level. Go back around the center island and then go through reverse loop to make your out and back.
That never really cross my mind tbh lol. It's not a bad idea.
Christian - First of all, welcome to our forum. We tend to be a friendly bunch here. Secondly, 10' x 19' is quite a good bit of space for N scale so you should be able to get a lot of industries to switch into that area. Since you are renting, I personally wouldn't go for a second level right now. You might be moving before you even get the first level fully scenicked. It can always be added later. If you decide to follow Iron Horseman's rough sketch, you could still have a reverse loop below the helix which would give more versatility.
Do keep us up to date with pictures if you are able.
Thank you for the warm welcome and feedback. I think I've settled on just a reversing loop for now. I think you're right that a second level is a bit much of an approach for a first go around in a space that isn't permanently mine. I think the best for now is to stick with a reversing loop which I can easily pull up and replace with a helix if I change my mind and add the second level.
Yes welcome Christian, my first suggestion might also be to build your benchwork in 2x4 modules which will make it easier for your future move. I am not a great track planner and one level is enough for me.
This actually crossed my mind and I planned on having it in about 4ft or less sections. I thought about rigging a cover that I can bolt onto the sides of the bench out of scrap 2x4 and plywood that I have laying around. I agree that at least for now a single level layout would suffice. It is just a beginning layout after all.
Welcome Christian from across the pond.
Sounds like you have a good idea as to what you want from your new hobby, but I agree with Gary, to build it in a modular design as you are renting, easier to transport when you decide to move, without having to rip out all your hard work. I would suggest one tier with a reverse loop for now, and build it in such a way it will allow for your expansion at a later date without having to make major modifications.

MilwRoader_Steve another member here, had a plan you might find interesting, although this is an L shaped layout the main plan gives you lots for you to do, and if your using N scale, could be easily modified to suit your needs. (Thanks to BigGRacing for the link)

I'm not too fond of loops because I find them a bit boring but this one I see a lot of potential in and actually like the design of quite a bit. I've just bought Anyrail so I'll probably play around with the idea of a loop layout on a larger scale.

Thanks for all the warm welcome and advice guys. First part of the project is that I have to get my 92' Chevy out of the garage first lol. Think she's got a bad fuel pump and Lord that's all I hope it is. I hate trying to diagnose electrical issues. On the bright side I snagged about 75 feet of micro engineering code 55 flex track for almost a $1 a foot so at least I have my foot in the door somewhere.

That never really cross my mind tbh lol. It's not a bad idea.

Thank you for the warm welcome and feedback. I think I've settled on just a reversing loop for now. I think you're right that a second level is a bit much of an approach for a first go around in a space that isn't permanently mine. I think the best for now is to stick with a reversing loop which I can easily pull up and replace with a helix if I change my mind and add the second level.

This actually crossed my mind and I planned on having it in about 4ft or less sections. I thought about rigging a cover that I can bolt onto the sides of the bench out of scrap 2x4 and plywood that I have laying around. I agree that at least for now a single level layout would suffice. It is just a beginning layout after all.

I'm not too fond of loops because I find them a bit boring but this one I see a lot of potential in and actually like the design of quite a bit. I've just bought Anyrail so I'll probably play around with the idea of a loop layout on a larger scale.

Thanks for all the warm welcome and advice guys. First part of the project is that I have to get my 92' Chevy out of the garage first lol. Think she's got a bad fuel pump and Lord that's all I hope it is. I hate trying to diagnose electrical issues. On the bright side I snagged about 75 feet of micro engineering code 55 flex track for almost a $1 a foot so at least I have my foot in the door somewhere.
When you get you car out the garage, and start your build, photos please, we'd all like to see how your build goes.

Have you really done enough exploring with N scale vs HO. In general I think you will find that HO is a bit easier to work on, and more expandable if you want Sound and DCC in the future. N scale doesn't offer much in sound. Perhaps you should try visiting a club, or some nearby modeler's layouts.

Your available space is certainly large enough for HO scale. And there is a lot of used HO items out there.

You might consider benchwork something like this. You have to look closely at the idea as i did not see what he was talking about at first

Hi Brian, not to put you off, but I have no interest in steel benchwork, or anything attached to the walls. I’m good with wood and/or foam-core and have already built a couple of modules. They are meant to be portable and sit on top of rolling IKEA book cases as shown in pictures early in this topic.

The double deck units are 18" by 48" and are built to fit atop standard IKEA cube book cases that have IKEA casters bolter to their bottoms to permit rollng them around. I've since added a chunk of masonite to the back of this one which really stiffened it up. I'm not sure about final backdrop material just yet. Likely something flexible, maybe I'll make freinds with a linoleum installer and ask for scraps of material at least 4' long and the height of each deck that I can install under side out and paint.
11A60A6.jpg

https://forum.mrhmag.com/post/conce...-in-a-12-x-14-bedroom-12405081?pid=1333077924

Look what this fellow did in a long thin room, .....single level

A few days ago I had occasions to visit a layout up in Jacksonville built by a retired CSX fellow. Just prior to entered the room he told us of his basic idea during the planning.
He liked to run trains, and build and display freight cars/rolling stock. For that reason his layout primarily consisted of a double-track mainline all around the layout where longer trains could pass or run along one another, and a fair bit of yards and sidings where his rolling stock could be displayed on the tracks. His scenic efforts were 'delayed', but he was placing structures all around in anticipation of the ' scenic eventualities', that may come, or get furthered delayed while he had fun with running trains and weathering locos and rolling stock.
...long narrow room...
DSCF1595.jpg DSCF1597.jpg DSCF1599.jpg

Can you believe this room is only about 10 foot wide? (9'10" to be exact)

Have you really done enough exploring with N scale vs HO. In general I think you will find that HO is a bit easier to work on, and more expandable if you want Sound and DCC in the future. N scale doesn't offer much in sound. Perhaps you should try visiting a club, or some nearby modeler's layouts.

Your available space is certainly large enough for HO scale. And there is a lot of used HO items out there.
Yeah I like the more train per square footage deal. I'm sure I'll probably go HO once I get my own space and keep the N layout on a smaller scale. No pun intended lol. That is an impressive layout for sure especially with the amount of space. To be honest I might not really be sure what I want out of layout, but I just figured I'd jump right in and give it a go. I may want this or that now but that may change. Only way I'm gonna know is to just do it, ya know? Gotta start somewhere. Is there track plans anywhere for the layout you pictured? I'd love to take a look at it and maybe get some ideas and a better understanding of the route I want to take.
When you get you car out the garage, and start your build, photos please, we'd all like to see how your build goes.
Absolutely! I'm mocking up some track plans as we speak in Anyrail. I'm going to play around with different benchwork shapes and once I've got a good idea of what it is I really want I'll be sure to give updates and come to the experts for some more pointers. Really glad to be joining the model railroading community and I appreciate the advice guys.

Regrettably that layout has been sold & I believe disassembled when the gentleman sold his big house. The layout was in the upper room over his garage.

I never did get a copy of the layout plan. I believe I have a few more photos,...somewhere if my brain ever lets me remember?

Here's my short answer to the questions you have posed, based on my age, interests and experience(s):

1. Double deck layouts can give you a much longer run, however they take longer to design, build, and finish. Along with more track, etc, goes a larger budget, even if you're just running thru the desert, or farm lands.....

2.They can also require much more attention to detail so that the vertical and horizontal spacing of towns, villages, yards, etc, aren't all concentrated in a single area, otherwise the plan may have to be abandoned, due to complexity, or breaking the laws of physics.

3. Getting a conventional single level layout to the point of having 1/2 decent scenery, with yard tracks operaitonal, etc, can take longer than you expect. If you are married, how does this 'need for time, money, etc,' go over with other family members? Before we had COVID, time for many people was a problem.

To me, a double deck is the way to go. You pretty much double your railroad area. You would need to make it all reachable probably without standing on a ladder. Well, ok so maybe in some spots you will need some leg extensions to work on the thing. Having enough separation between the layers is doable although you need to be careful where you want to place tall building or scenery. You do need to give a bunch of though of how your trains are gonna get from one layer to the other if you plan on the main line being on both layers. I am sticking to 28" reach-in on either layer. Taller folks may have more reach, but if you are gonna have other people operating on it, they need to reach that car that does not like the rails sooner or later which is against the back drop. It can be done, you just have to take a little more time with the benchwork design.

Designing & Building Multideck Layouts

71+SIdE1HdL.jpg

I have 2 copies of this book,...would you be interested in buying 1 at a discount price??

Back