Tip for Sectional-Track visual improvement

PowrCab

Sectional track has the extra webbing between the first tie and the second tie in, on both ends..This lends an unrealistic boxy look to the ties on the ends of each section after track is in place...
Take a blade and slice off the end ties of each section plus the connective plastic to the 2nd tie in, before laying...Then, after laying all the track, slide and white-glue in separate single ties that are now missing under or next to, the rail joiners..This will eliminate those unrealistic end 'boxes' that sectional track ties form.
The reason sectional track does this is to somewhat protect the rails ends which hold the joiners, from getting snagged/bent where there would otherwise be no tie next to the included rail joiners at each end (if dat makes sense)..
I'm always seeing layouts with sectional track with that boxy look all over the place, when a few simple steps could eliminate it and greatly improve its look...

One very cool thing about Atlas sectional track compared to flex is that the sectional type has tinier spike heads, more realistic than flex has !!
I believe they found flex requires the bigger, heavier spike heads to handle the flexing action we give it, whereas the sectional is already permanently curved..
I.E. Spike head-wise, at least Atlas sectional track, is more realistic than their flex !!! Check it out !

Last edited:

Back